Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Increased Soot in Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007 | 01:45 AM
lesimon
|
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Increased Soot in Engine Oil

Mayfair according to the local dodge dealers/stealers I can only use their mopar filter or I void my warranty. Even though I would rather install cummins/fleetguard strata-pore oil filter, which I know what the filtering performance specification are for $10.00. The dodge Mopar oil filter $20.00, I have no idea nor can the dealer give me any literature on its filtering specifications. This sure does not make sense to me. Perhaps the laws are different in the US.

Old 03-30-2007 | 04:11 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of filter, oil filter, air filter,or other service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.I amunaware of any exemption or waiver granted by the FTC to any motor vehicle manufacturer, which pertains to any type of oil filters. That's how it is in the USA..........It is called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Old 03-30-2007 | 05:19 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

heres what I just found out there....

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdf...es/LT15094.pdf

from

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/en/index.shtml

Old 03-30-2007 | 07:42 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice info!!!

Old 03-30-2007 | 08:32 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: jakebrake

I think they were called lubrifinder (sp) filters
I think you might be right, that name rings bells in the memory banks from 35 years ago.

When you get old "CRS" kicks in.

Old 03-30-2007 | 03:06 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: lesimon

Mayfair according to the local dodge dealers/stealers I can only use their mopar filter or I void my warranty.

What a crock !!

Look ... if YOU feel that the Strat filter is better than the Mopar one, then use it. If you ever get yourself in a warranty situation, you could I guess quick switch it over to the Mopar filter.

Either way, I don't think they can legally void your warranty unless they can prove that the filter you used caused the problem.

Old 03-30-2007 | 03:32 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

lesimon,

I think you should tell them to put it in writing that if you the use any Fleetguard filter (oil, gas or air) it will void your warranty. If they are stupid enough to do it then send a copy to Cummins and I bet they will straighten them out for you ASAP (they will be on this dealer like stink on sh it) and it will be done for Free.

Old 03-31-2007 | 12:35 AM
bert0168
Professional

Could this be it?

http://www.luberfiner.com/

Old 03-31-2007 | 12:49 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: bert0168

Could this be it?

http://www.luberfiner.com/
None of them look like it.
The one I had was a canister type with a sock type element.
But remember this was almost 40 years ago.

Old 03-31-2007 | 11:08 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fleetguard, Racor, Harvard are all good filters and make high quality bypass filtering systems. I have bought and used all three in the past on mining equipment (Fleetguard and Harvard) and EMD GP38 locomotives (Racor)

But would the money you spend on a bypass system be better spent overall on simply doing more oil changes?

Over a period of 200,000 miles how many additional oil changes could you pay for with the $ needed for a bypass system?

Oil changes get rid of the small particles too. Oil changes improve the TBN. Oil changes get rid of water in oil. Oil changes get rid of anti-freeze in oil, a major cause of bearing failure. Oil changes make someone get underneath the vehicle and engine, where frequently things going wrong are spotted early.

Expensive bypass filters don't do anything but remove the small particles which may not be doing that much harm.

Quick Reply: Increased Soot in Engine Oil