Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Lucas in trans and rear ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucas in trans and rear ??

I'm not sure if I asked this before or not, but ifI did, I don't remember the outcome so I'm asking again.

Are you guy's, or do you guy's reccomend using Lucas in the trans and rear diffs?

I just got my new trans and rear covers and I'm going to be installing them hopefully this weekend. My friend swears by using Lucas, butI wanted to run it by you guy's first. Also, what types of trans fluid and rear oil are you using?

Old 03-19-2007, 06:06 PM
YAMAHARIDER5
Professional
Default RE: Lucas in trans and rear ??

I remember reading and i saw a video clip that it made the oil really foamy and added alot of air to the oil. but i could be wrong. As far as what to use i would go amsoil all the way! Thats what i am going to use here in a few months!!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:32 PM
49lambert
Rookie

I have the MagHytec Double Deep Trans pan and rear diff cover on my 06. I run Amsoil 75W-90 in the rear and the AmsoilATF in the trans. I have the front diff cover sittingin my garage and will be putting it on next time I service the front diff.

The MagHytecproducts are great and I amvery happy with Amsoil too. The only downside is the added costservicing the trans and diff because of theextra fluid the MagHytecholds.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:39 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: YAMAHARIDER5

I remember reading and i saw a video clip that it made the oil really foamy and added alot of air to the oil. but i could be wrong. As far as what to use i would go amsoil all the way! Thats what i am going to use here in a few months!!
I definitely can't say from experience, but I saw that video as well and that was enough to shy me away from using the Lucas in my truck.

It may have worked with the oils of yesterday, but today'slubes are head and shoulders better than those.

If you're using quality lubes, I wouldn't mess with the formula too much.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Yeah, that's the same trans pan and rear pan that I got. I didn't get the front rear pan though.

Did you use the Lucas?

Yamaha, I too remember seeing that Lucas video. That's why I'm nervous.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:45 PM
49lambert
Rookie

I didnt use lucas or any other additive.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

I definitely can't say from experience, but I saw that video as well and that was enough to shy me away from using the Lucas in my truck.
Yeah, I hear ya, but then I keep thinking that if it was some sort of "snake oil" or whatever, you wouldn't see it everywhere at all of these racetracks and so forth. When you go to a race, you see Lucas EVERYWHERE !! If it was junk, you'd think these racers wouldn't let it in.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:49 PM
YAMAHARIDER5
Professional

Yeah i wonder that too if its so bad why do all these drag racers and stuff use it. Or is lucas just doing it to try and sell their product?

Old 03-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing I would add to your diff's would be some friction modifier to the rear if you have a limited slip. if you have an open axel then 75-90 is all you will ever need.

as far as the trans, I'm with everyone else here. . .I wouldnt try it.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:22 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

Yeah, I hear ya, but then I keep thinking that if it was some sort of "snake oil" or whatever, you wouldn't see it everywhere at all of these racetracks and so forth. When you go to a race, you see Lucas EVERYWHERE !! If it was junk, you'd think these racers wouldn't let it in.
That's the sponsorship, not necessarilly what is being used. It's like having Fruit Loops on the hood.....it doesn't mean the driver eats it everyday. Sponsorship pays the bills, so the driver can have the thrills. Pay me enough and I'll run a friggin Tampax sticker on my hood.......well.....I guess you'd really have to pay good for that one.

Plus, a lot of the folks that are using Lucas products are using the actual oil, not the additives.

Like I said, I can't say from experience, but I know I've never had a problem on well maintained vehicle that was related to a lubricant that was at the proper level and drain intervals. Just my .02, I guess.

Quick Reply: Lucas in trans and rear ??