Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Dog question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:27 PM
rbmason
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog question

This is a bit off topic, but I don't know who else to ask, and I've seen several people mention it.

How do you train your dog to ride in the bed? This is quite difficult for me.
I've trained him to jump into the bed on command, but unless someone's back there holding him, he just jumps out when the truck starts rolling. He's a fairly young 3/4pit 1/4rotweiler, maybe between 1-2 years.

How did ya'll go about training your dogs?

Old 03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: Dog question

threw him in the back and he just loved it they both do i guess it just depends on the dog maybe open your rear slider if you have one and make him pay attention to you then go for a slow cruise with him bak there

Old 03-28-2007, 07:27 PM
chukar
Rookie

Put him in a dog crate or let him ride in the cab until you get to the middle of nowhere. Then get him in the back of the truck. Start driving. If he jumps out, keep driving. Make him follow you for 5 or 6 miles, (less if he gives up and lays down, more if he wants to keep going). After a while, when he looks tired, stop and have him get in the bed again. Then try it again. If he jumps out, make him walk.

Personally I have not had to employ this technique, but have been with some people who had the same problem as you have. This worked for them. I have two dogs. The older one must have fallen out before I got him because he doesn't like to get in or out until I open the tailgate. The younger one jumped out once. It happen to be in town so I couldn't make her follow me like above. The fall must have scared her enough; or it was the way she was placed (tossed) back into the bed. Now neither one will think of getting out until that tailgate comes down and they are "invited" to get out. (the invited part doesn't work too well once they see the shotgun though, they see that and they are ready to go to work).

Old 03-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Ben D.
Champion

personal opinion is that it's too much risk to let them ride in the bed unless you're in the middle of nowhere. I would hate myslef if my buddy jumped out the bed in traffic and got hit

Old 03-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Mayfair
Legend

LMAO ... this whole conversation reminds me of a friend of mine's experience.

He had a boxer on a leash ( thank God ), and he was driving a van. He had his boxer sitting on the passenger seat right next to him. Well his boxer saw something that he wanted and jumped right out of the window while my friend was driving at about 45mph. The leash was looped over my friends armrest so the boxer would up hanging himself outside of the window. My friends van door suffered the most damage as the boxer tried to claw his way back in while my friend was pulling over.

To see the door and to hear the story is hysterical !!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 PM
rbmason
Rookie

Mayfair, that is HILARIOUS!

Chukar, I think I'll try that, it sounds like good advice. I live on a farm, so he's definately used to roaming around behind the truck for miles. However, i can't seem to make it to the pasture before he jumps. Next time I go home (I'm at college now) I'll give that a shot. I wonder if starting as a pup would make it better.

Thanks guys. Let's hear some more of those dog story's liek the one above.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:04 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Isin't air slamming into a dog's nose suppose to be bad for them?

Old 03-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Rent a shock collar and turn the juice down on low, It sounds mean but Id rather shock him/her than shovel up off the road. Im thinkin about tying it out on the wife

Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 PM
chukar
Rookie

I do agree with Ben. If I am on pavement in a high traffic area, the dogs go in their box. Otherwise, they can have the bed to roam around in.

Watermelon -
Obviously I don't know your wife's sense ofhumor. I thought I knew mine until I joked about using the collar on the boy. Seems he has a case of selective listening. Of course that is what they are used for isn't it? They should be called canine hearing aids.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Watermelon, if it works on the wife let me know and I'll rent it from you after you get yours "stump trained".Then I can do mine. Sorry guys that's a little South Cackalacky humor.

Quick Reply: Dog question