Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

My good deed for the day...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:11 PM
SpLaT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My good deed for the day...

My good deed for the day...during my travel to another work site I came across a Dmax parked along the ditch, hood open and driver beating his head against drivers door. I pulled over to see if I could help the poor fellow out. Seems he had been in the bush for the last 3 months (rig push) and he was finally going home. But instead of taking the highway he took the short cut which is the same ugly gravel clay road I drive. The shortcut, when the road is dry and in good repair can take off 3 to 4hrs off the driving time vs the highway.The guy had stopped and topped up his slip tank andtruck fuel tank roughly had about 300gals on board (slip tank drains directly to truck tank). The trip from where he fueled up to where I found him would normally use 20gals. Well he had none.. nada no fuel, but he didn't know this at the time he had killed his batteries trying to get truck to start figuring he had fuel and thinking his fuel gauge was NFG. I pulled bumper to bumper and hooked up jumper cables and tried charging his batteries. in the mean time we started looking for the "no go" problem. Walking to the back of his truck I see a "wet" spot under the box of his truck, I get on my knees and look .... was horrified!!! He has or had a FASS system. Seems it was taken out by a rock, tore both the filter and water collector clean off!! The poor Bastide lost 280gals of good diesel to the road!! I looked at him and gave him the bad news.... his lower lip began to quiever... but alas!! I could get you back on the road.... I pulled some 1/4" i.d. stainless steel tubing from my truck grabbed my tubing cutters and tubing benders and some swedge lock fittings .... 1/2 hr later his FASS was bypassed... then drove 30 miles back to camp grabbed 40 litres of dyed diesel and filled his tank... enough to get him to the next town. I hope someone up there was watching....cause I was being real nice to the Dmax guy.... should be good for a few brownie points

Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: My good deed for the day...

glad to hear you could help him out!

did ya not have a camera for pics???

Old 08-30-2007, 08:17 PM
SpLaT
Captain

A camera? lol (left it in the quad.. lots of wild life around these parts) I could just see it... the Dmax guywas already beating on himself, all he needed was some clown in a dodge, laying under his truck "clickin" away...(snickering too!!!) Ithink he waspi$$ed off enough....

Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

Awesome, always glad to hear it when someone lends a hand... I'm sure he'll return the favor to someone down the road as well... "treat others how you want to be treated"

Old 08-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Ben D.
Champion

damn 280 gallons times 2 bux a gallon at the least is 560 bux. damn that's about make you **** ur pants.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:48 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

damn 280 gallons times 2 bux a gallon at the least is 560 bux. damn that's about make you **** ur pants.
2 bux a gallon, I'd like to get fuel where you do

Old 08-30-2007, 09:03 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

lol, yea 2 bucks a gallon huh, it might be worth my drive to your station to fill up but splat, CONGRATS you did a good thing! a picture would of been sweet but that almost like slappin him in the face.... i mean c'mon, the guys already driving in a dmax, how much less of a man do you want to make him out to be?

Old 08-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Silverline
Veteran

Plain and simple. He's lucky he ran into someone who knew how to help out. And more importantly was nice enough to help out. Way to go splat.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:26 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Good deed taken, one point for Splat

Old 08-30-2007, 09:28 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

yup...that was for sure a good thing done!

Quick Reply: My good deed for the day...