Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tranny question (that just sounds wrong...)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:01 PM
flipfloplife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny question (that just sounds wrong...)

Long time lurker, have never needed to post because things here are so thorough.

2005, dodge ram 2500, cummins. 95,000'ish miles.

have had intermittent trans light at maybe 35 and 65k miles. 1740 code. it went away on its own.

today pulling on to turnpike the engine rev's up to like 3500 rpm on the on ramp ... but i'm slowing down ... not good. felt like i wasn't even in gear. it picks back up ... i get almost home. then the cool part happens. the engine is revving up ... but i'm not accelerating. to be clear -- i hit the gas pedal and the engine rev's ... but it feels like it's not engaged with the tranny. then when i slow down to about 20 mph or less it will pick up and push me up to 20 again ... then feel like it's dis-engaged (is this what you guys call the "limp mode" (?). anyway it sucks.

so i pull codes -- p1757 and p1740. yes i searched ---- for 1740 it says tcc or od solenoid performance for 1757 it says governor pressure above 3 psi in gear w 0 mph. awesome. i am just dangerous enough to pull the cover off my tranny and do what you guys tell me. should i:

a) buy a pressure sensor, switch and solenoid -- replace them all with your guidance, reset the computer and get on with my life 'cause we're pretty sure that will fix it.
b) come up with a different plan to do myself
c) take it to a local shop (there aren't many - i'm in the upper florida keys) and ask them to troubleshoot it
d) crack open the bottle of johnny walker because i'm about to buy a new transmission, don't even bother asking them to troubleshoot - just get a new one

there will be follow on questions no matter what you vote for. i appreciate your time and consideration.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:06 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum!!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
The P1757 code is the governor solenoid circuit and the P1740 torque converter no rpm drop. First i would have the torque converter stall test done, if the engine stalls. That circuit is working so far. If the engine doesn't stall, then there is problem with the circuit. If the engine stall on the first ck, the replace the governor and transducer.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:54 PM
flipfloplife

ok -- i'll try and do that first thing tomorrow -- will any place that does transmission work be able to do that torque converter stall test? not a dealership w/in 80 miles and i'm no faster than 20 mph right now ...

Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 AM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by flipfloplife
ok -- i'll try and do that first thing tomorrow -- will any place that does transmission work be able to do that torque converter stall test? not a dealership w/in 80 miles and i'm no faster than 20 mph right now ...
I am going to say that is a Regular trans place or a dealer with the proper equipment to do that... Ammco or something of that nature... Could be the wiring connector to the Trans its worth a look to see if its loose or something Also. If nothing is around you then only option is to have it towed on a tow truck... if you drive it then you may smoke the trans then cost more money...

Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 AM
flipfloplife

headed out to triple check wiring harnesses now. i know there's contact cleaner around here somewhere...

well on a practical level -- for the cost of the tow i could overnight the parts and replace the governor and transducer. if that does it then super -- if not then ... well then it really sucks and the cost of the tow is the least of my worries (?)

Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 AM
pizzo
All Star

headed out to triple check wiring harnesses now. i know there's contact cleaner around here somewhere...

well on a practical level -- for the cost of the tow i could overnight the parts and replace the governor and transducer. if that does it then super -- if not then ... well then it really sucks and the cost of the tow is the least of my worries (?)
Okay then get yourself a clean drain pan and drain the trans oil and take the pan down look on the magnet and see if their is any BIG chunks of metal on it. Fine crystal like shavings are normal though if the wire harness in OKAY then look at the wiring inside the trans and see if that is okay also...
I cant tell you that its going to be exactly them parts... My mechanical skills on a trans is What I just typed. plus a little more then that...

From what I heard the governor and transducer fails the truck haunts gears 1-2-1-2-3. Master tech If my memory is correct he rebuilds transmissions. And knows A LOT more about it then I do.. I would hate to say its those parts and not fix the problem... tossing money at it is like owning two boats always tossing money in them... lol

Old 04-12-2010, 12:54 AM
pizzo
All Star

Also suncoast has them they are in North Fl someplace suncoast converters .com so if your going to order one that is the spot. Ebay is some junk ones from what I've heard on the web they also sell a upgraded one for few hundred bucks

Old 04-12-2010, 07:51 AM
flipfloplife

ok -- didn't seem to be any wiring harness, so i'm calling suncoast and get a governor and transducer here asap. i should probably go ahead and change fluid and filter while i'm in there (?). will disconnecting the battery for 10 mins reset the codes? i figured i would do all of this and then see where i'm at. next post i'll have tranny fluid on my hands (not THAT kind of tranny ya sicky!)

other thoughts?

should i be adjusting some tensioners while i'm in there? this is where you find out how not smart i am on all of this... it's my only transportation, would probably take weeks to rebuild even if i had the cash to do it --- surely you guys can talk me through this

Last edited by flipfloplife; 04-12-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 PM
pizzo
All Star

ok -- didn't seem to be any wiring harness, so i'm calling suncoast and get a governor and transducer here asap. i should probably go ahead and change fluid and filter while i'm in there (?). will disconnecting the battery for 10 mins reset the codes? i figured i would do all of this and then see where i'm at. next post i'll have tranny fluid on my hands (not THAT kind of tranny ya sicky!)

other thoughts?

should i be adjusting some tensioners while i'm in there? this is where you find out how not smart i am on all of this... it's my only transportation, would probably take weeks to rebuild even if i had the cash to do it --- surely you guys can talk me through this
You can do a Band adjustment while your there.. Its tricky but if you have a inch pound torque wrench (INCH NOT A FOOT LBS) they get tightened to 76 inch lbs then back off 1.5 turns I will try and link you too a DIY (do it Yourself) http://www.doghousediesel.com/id13.html here is a link to the hole page You will need to click the links that corresponds with you want to do...

Quick Reply: Tranny question (that just sounds wrong...)