Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

rear end gear change to save fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:36 PM
ronsaun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end gear change to save fuel?

is it worth the gas milage savings to change the ring and pinion to something like a 3.24 from a 3.92 and will the computer compensate appropriatly or will i screw up everything!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:44 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts
Default RE: rear end gear change to save fuel?

If you do mostly highway driving it will save you a couple of MPG. If you do mostly city driving it will cost you a couple of MPG. The computer will not have to compensate for anything, but you will have to change the speedometer gear in the tranny or your speedo will run slow.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:07 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ronsaun, You didn't mention what year the Ram Van/Wagon is. So it's somewhat unknown what better rear gears would work for your van. If it's a newer van, the the 3.55 rear is the best.[&:] However, it's not all that good for towing.[>:] I have the 3.92 rear in the B2500 V8 5.2L/318cid. This van also has OD. So, it's not too bad overall. Yes, the 3.55 rear would help.

One BIG help isn't with the rear gears, but with the engine cooling fan being clutch drive via the belt during the entire run of the van. Switching to a eFan will greatly improve the MPG. Even more so if the engine is the V6! The belt driven clutch fan adds to the engine load and friction. Removing the fan and leaving the water-pump still connected really helps.

In plenty of the Dodge forums around the web, you will find the eFan swapping for the Dodge Trucks and Dodge Vans. There are plenty of aftermarket kits that will work well.

Also, the tires play a key roll (pun intended) for better rolling resistance charateristics. I have a highly rated tire for this, Yokohama Geolander HTS/G051. They are rated highly with Consumer Reports and Tire Rack for the rolling distance in the studies. The tire has long wear life with all season tread too.

If the van doesn't have over 90K or more miles, use 5W30 engine oil to save on fuel until mid-Spring or when the temps during the peak of the day rise above 75 degrees outside.

Peace!

Stev

Old 02-09-2008, 06:13 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it would be wiser to try out larger diameter tires first
(try looking for good used ones for experimenting)
before spending the money ($800 to $1200)
for the gear change downward.

Beware that if you have the Dana 60, 70 or 80
there were gear sets made of less than 3.54
but they are hard to find,
and don't be fooled by the 3.06 ratios in Dana 61's
because they will not fit

For the Chrysler 9.25
gearsets of 3.21 are relatively easy to find
2.97 is available too, but would probably be too low
if the Van is carrying a heavy load or climbing highway hills frequently

Old 03-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Suprageezer

I run Goodyear 31X10.50R15LT MT's all the way around on my 94 B150. I only let it go into over-drive on a very flat road otherwise I keep it in 3rd. I picked up at least 4-5 mpg over the stock size tires. I would not recommened the efan to claim a very minimal mpg, there are too many things that can go wrong on the highway, but that's from my own experience with them on muscle cars and HiPo imports.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:33 PM
DaDodge
Amateur

Has anyone tryed a vacuum gauge in conjunction with a tach to improve fuel mileage? Used to be fairly effective. I just bought my B2500, 5.2 with 3:92 gears from a GSA auction. It's a 2001 with 52,471 miles on it. Got it fairly reasonable, cause it was the "faded" burgundy (I think). Anyway, I know mileage is going to be a potential concern. So, my plan is tallest tires I can find with the least rolling resistance, highest mileage rating, no more width than necessary for stability. Gauges, so I can watch the right foot. K/N air filter, possibility route to cold air intake. Look to see if I can put a flex-lite fan on the fan clutch. Saw that idea in Popular Hotrodding. Keep a real good wax job on it, used to be good for 3 to 5 mph at same throttle setting on aircraft I drove. Probably a healthy shift kit and external trans oil cooler, won't help on highway, but should help alittle in city. What do you all think???????

Old 06-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DaDodge

Has anyone tryed a vacuum gauge in conjunction with a tach to improve fuel mileage? Used to be fairly effective. I just bought my B2500, 5.2 with 3:92 gears from a GSA auction. It's a 2001 with 52,471 miles on it. Got it fairly reasonable, cause it was the "faded" burgundy (I think). Anyway, I know mileage is going to be a potential concern. So, my plan is tallest tires I can find with the least rolling resistance, highest mileage rating, no more width than necessary for stability. Gauges, so I can watch the right foot. K/N air filter, possibility route to cold air intake. Look to see if I can put a flex-lite fan on the fan clutch. Saw that idea in Popular Hotrodding. Keep a real good wax job on it, used to be good for 3 to 5 mph at same throttle setting on aircraft I drove. Probably a healthy shift kit and external trans oil cooler, won't help on highway, but should help alittle in city. What do you all think???????

Old 06-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

I have not tried four times to post here on this thread and the system won't process my entry, WHY?

Old 06-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Gages, flex fan, trans cooler, will work and help.
Bigger tires can help but also hurt if you do a lot of city driving.
K&N filter I would not recommend, paper filter cleans the air better. K&N is better on racing motors, not street machines.
Your other items I have not tried.

Nine tries and it finally posts, good greif. Any one know what is going on here?

Quick Reply: rear end gear change to save fuel?