Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

5.9L B350, Crank but no start, No spark, No fun :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Church
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it all turned out to be chaffing. Just needed a butt connector and a little corn starch. Good as new!

The big bulk of wiring harness was rubbing against the battery tray. Rubbed all the way through the ignition + wire cutting off power to the ASD relay. So happy it wasn't a bad PCM!!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:23 PM
James Engle

Hey Church, Glad to hear you got her fixed. Its always a good felling when it dosen't cost a lot of money. Give yourself a pat on the back & thanks to all the help you & I got from this forum.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Church

Thanks James! And everyone else who put their two cents in too! I really appreciate all the help. I want to give a special thanks to harbor freight tools, that $3.00 multimeter may not be the most accurate thing in the world but it helped alot in narrowing problem section of wiring harness down to one area. This problem has definitely taught me a lesson in patience and thorough investigation before chocking up a problem to failed parts. If I woulda just gone out and bought a new PCM I'd be out $500 and it still wouldn't run!

I'm a happy van owner again!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:29 PM
DieselGMCvan

If the computer does not get a signal from the CPS it will crank but won't deliver spark nor power to the fuel injectors.
Are you sure its both the ignition coil AND the injectors? I just got a van with more or less the same issue... cranks but wont start becuase the guy that had it before me put a transmission in and didnt use the correct flexplate - it fits but doesnt have the notches in it for the crank sensor to pick up.... He gave me a old style distributer hoping it could feed the ignition coil instead of going through the crank sensor. But it sounds like im gonna have to pull the trans and change the flexplate afterall if the crank sensor runs the injectors too. I was thinking of doing this anyways just so the van would be "correct" and wouldnt throw any check engine codes.

Let me know what you think I should do... Im curious what would be easiest and the best choice as well.

Thanks, Spenser

Old 04-05-2009, 01:32 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The cam sensor (pick-up coil in the distributor) triggers the injectors, not the crank sensor. The crank sensor triggers just the spark timing.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:24 AM
DieselGMCvan

Oh. So can I just use an older distributer? Do you think theres one that would still have the pick-up coil to trigger the injectors, but be old enough to run the ignition coil as well?

I guess I'm kinda lost as what exactly to look for in a distributer that might work. Is there one out there that would work or will it not have both pick-ups for the ignition coil AND the injectors?

Thanks for the help, Spenser

btw - hope no one minds the thread hi-jacking...... I can make another one if you guys want. I thought it might be ok though because its the same problem just a different cause.

Last edited by DieselGMCvan; 04-05-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:16 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by DieselGMCvan
Oh. So can I just use an older distributer?
We would need to know year, sub-model, and engine before even thinking about answering that question.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:07 PM
DieselGMCvan

Its a 1997, B3500 with a 5.2L..... One of the real long 15 passenger types.

-Spenser

Old 04-05-2009, 01:45 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Nope, for your year you can't eliminate the crank sensor just by using a different distributor. You would have to gut the entire ignition system and replace it with an aftermarket one. It'll be easier and cheaper to just change the flywheel.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:25 PM
DieselGMCvan

Oh ok.

Thanks for the help, Spenser

Quick Reply: 5.9L B350, Crank but no start, No spark, No fun :(