Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

5.9L B350, Crank but no start, No spark, No fun :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:17 AM
lyman9101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 b350

I am having the same problem descibed in this post thinking it was the pickup sensor I replaced it I was also told to look for the ceramic ballaster that could be the issue I did not see one. I need to know the location of the ecm can any of the fuses next to the glove box cause a no start symptom I have no fire to the distributor, did a 90 have a crank sensor? what do I check first? this van only has 58k on it is very clean under neath its a 5.7 whatis that 360? thanks for your help

Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The ballast resistor is for older ignition systems that don't have a PCM or fuel injection. If you have fuel injection then you have a crank sensor.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:13 AM
lyman9101
Default no fire

my 90 model has no crank sensor haynes manual confirmed it. Imordered a brain fo it 130.00 should be here friday.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Church

Be sure to THOROUGHLY inspect your wiring. I put several new parts on my van that it didn't need. Turned out to be a wire rubbed through against the battery tray. It was part of a large wire harness and was easy to overlook since it it was about 50 wires all wrapped up together. Just look closely for any parts of your wiring harness that may be or have been rubbing against things before throwing a bunch of new parts at it like I did. I spent several hundred when all I really needed was a little solder and a shrink tube.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:19 AM
James Engle

My 92 had a crankshaft sensor that was bad & prevented spark. I only happened to wiggle the wires to find this out. You should like mentioned check wiring begining at the coil. I also had a coil that was not grounded caused the same thing. Hope this helps.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:19 PM
lyman9101
Default brain

guys I put the obc BRAIN IN IT FIRED UP RUNS AWESOME

Old 06-30-2010, 05:23 PM
John G.
Default Greetings all

Hello, everyone. I am having a similiar problem. I was driving home when all of a sudden my van turned off. It would turn over, but not start. A few months ago, I had a problem with intermittent spark and it turned out to be camshaft position sensor. I multimetered the coil and it seems to be within specs. I get spark from the coil wire to distributor cap wire, but not from rotor to cylinders. I changed the cps again, but no go. I then changed the crankshaft sensor and still no go. I tried spraying carb cleaner in carb to see if it would try to start, but nothing. Will this exclude the problem of fuel.

I really would appreciate any help as I am at my wits end with this and I need this vehicle for work.

Thanks,

John

Old 06-30-2010, 05:47 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by John G.
I get spark from the coil wire to distributor cap wire, but not from rotor to cylinders.
This can happen if the coil is weak because the spark isn't strong enough the jump the rotor to cap gap. Have you removed the cap and cranked the engine just to make sure the rotor is turning?

What color is the spark off the center wire, blue or orange?

Old 06-30-2010, 05:58 PM
John G.

I haven't actually watched it spin, but after removing the cap a few times, the rotor was in different positions. The spark I see is blue. Can the coil still be weak if it is within specs using an ohmeter?
Thanks,
John

Also, when i check the spark from the coil wire I have to hold it very close to a ground to see a spark, even dusk light. Any more than about an 1/8 inch it wont jump.

Last edited by John G.; 06-30-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:09 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by John G.
Any more than about an 1/8 inch it wont jump.
That's fairly weak, it should be able to easily jump an inch or so. The coil can ohm out good yet still be weak if the internal insulation is breaking down. This condition allows some spark to jump around inside of the coil body instead of getting out to the plugs. Another possibility is a bad center coil wire. If the coil is good but the center wire is internally broken, then all of the spark isn't reaching the end.

Last edited by alloro; 06-30-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.9L B350, Crank but no start, No spark, No fun :(