Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

B250 won't shift into 4th gear. Arrrrgggg

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:08 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Horton
the codes came back as 1-2 & 3-5 then, end 5-5 now i need to find out what the heck that means
Code 35 only refers to a radiator cooling fan if you have a 2.5L engine. In all other cases it refers to the A/C relay since these vans don't have an electric fan.

1. Are you able to turn your A/C compressor on?
2. If it does turn on, does it cut out during hard acceleration?

If the answer is no to either of these question, then an A/C electrical issue is the reason for code 35 (usually a bad relay). BTW, the OBD-II equivalent code is P1491, in case you can't get to sleep tonight without know that bit of information.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:13 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Mobile Auto Repair
I usually make a joke that they (dealer service departments) could not work on my 77 Chevy because they could not hook up their code scanner to it.
That's more fact than fiction. Most kids...er I mean "techs" these days can't diagnose worth a damn unless that have their hands on a piece of electronic equipment, like say an oscilloscope, to tell them what is wrong.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Horton
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the TBI on one side of the throttle plate. Find where your throttle cable hooks to the TBI and right above it you will find a little electric solenoid with a adjustable bolt sticking out of it and touching the throttle arm. That is the idle control switch.
Got it. Thank you.
Now I'm really peeved at the Dodge service dept. I asked them to check for codes. $300.00 for maybe it's the computer!

Old 09-20-2009, 11:32 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found mine, I had been looking only on the front cover.
Mine is:
(6C4-30065)
(349)
Copyright 1996,1998, 2000
So I have a latter book with the incorrect information, so what else is new.
Well Mine could be wrong too, But Leeanne's FSM backs up my older version

Old 09-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Horton
Rookie

I found in my 89-91 chilton's dodge full size vans that code 35 was the idle control switch. I can't check the AC compressor because some nimrod previous owner let the AC hose sit on the mainfold & burn a hole in it. I have no refrigerant, no AC.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just over at www.rockauto.com and looking at the ECM's for a 1990. They are different than my '89 so ignore my earlier comment on the lower circuit board, if you haven't already.

One thing that is very interesting is there is an ECM/SMEC for a 4 speed A/T (part# 798989)and one for a 3 speed A/T(part #798993).

Since the PO was smart enough to let the AC lines touch the manifold, don't put it past him to replace the ECM with the wrong unit.

Removing the ECM is incredible simple. Opening mine up is also simple. I suspect yours is too. Getting a torx, or star bit isn't very difficult either, if that is what's needed.

Somewhere inside it there will be numbers which correspond to the numbers on the rockauto/cardone website.

Verify you have the right computer. If it is the right one,
Then explore the Idle speed actuator motor

Old 09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Horton
Rookie

I've been browsing Rockauto & they have just about everything I could ever need. They do list a Idle speed control relay, not sure if this is the switch that code 35 is referring to. I talked to Dodge service this morning & reminded them I asked for the codes to be checked when I took it in. Since they didn't, I told him I felt they needed to make it right. They will if they know what's good for them!

Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Horton
They will if they know what's good for them!
We'd sure appreciate you posting the video of the fight.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Horton
Rookie

The van is almost older than the service advisor is. My cell phone has video Alloro! Could be fun

Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

Originally Posted by alloro
That's more fact than fiction. Most kids...er I mean "techs" these days can't diagnose worth a damn unless that have their hands on a piece of electronic equipment, like say an oscilloscope, to tell them what is wrong.

whats wrong with an oscope? most people would have no clue how to use one. i use one everyday for repairing 2way radios. it's invaluable. i've read that it can be used for checking cam/crank sync. thats for sure because if they were out of phase, injector and ignition timing would be greatly affected since codes wouldnt necessarrily be set for this problem.

Quick Reply: B250 won't shift into 4th gear. Arrrrgggg