Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Need Help with my van!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Ladyff71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with my van!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 1995 dodge b2500 conversion van w/ a 3.9l v6. I drive back and forth to work, like 2 miles each way, and it's fine. If I go any farther than that, i can feel the van losing power. then it chokes and dies. I get stuck on the side of the road for like 10 minutes until I can start the thing again and go. if it's hot out, i have to sit longer, or put one foot on the gas and one on the brake and pray I get home. i noticed it usually dies when my temp gauge gets to the halfway mark. It runs fine if the gauge reads cold.
key code thing reads 34. It died again today, and my brother kept starting it and revving the engine. Now it dies when you let off the gas, and code 34 is gone, but it's reading 12 (battery code, I know) 14, and 45. code 34 is gone. Help! I blew the head gasket in my other car and this is all I have left!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the codes - someone else will have to help with those.

The engine quitting scenario you describe sure sounds like the classic in-tank fuel pump beginning to go bad. Search thru the Ram Van Forum archives and you will find many discussions regarding this subject.

If you drive one of these vans long enough you have to deal with having the fuel pump replaced or learning how to DIY.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Ladyff71

I replaced the fuel pump when I bought it last summer, as well as did a tune-up. I also changed the transmission overdrive sensor last fall, I can't remember why. wechecked the fuel pump today, and it works fine. i found a melted wire connecting to the pcm (not sure which one) but we fixed that too. and there's 170k miles on the van, and i've found most of the parts are still factory.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:00 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Follow the steps at the following page for cleaning the IAC valve.
(the IAC valve regulates the engine idle.)
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Old 07-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Ladyff71

So I cleaned the IAC, that was completely dirty. I replaced the MAP sensor, which was one of the codes, and when I went to look at the tranny overdrive sensor, i realized the bolt holding it to the tranny was loose. I retightened it and put everything back together. It started ont eh first try, idled nice and smooth, and ran fine the 3 miles home. I will have to travel a little farther to see if it will die on me again, but so far, so good. I'll keep ya'll posted and let ya know. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:38 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Nice, a little elbow grease and a few bucks and away you go!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:43 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go figure, my IAC DIY cleaning is still popular today. LOL

Glad she found the loose sensor too. Hope she reports back with some good news overall.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:23 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by stev
Go figure, my IAC DIY cleaning is still popular today.
Sure is, then of course the IAC needs to be cleaned every few years anyway. So I guess it's a recurring issue that even the same people might revisit from time to time.