Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

eFan Installation Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eFan Installation Pictures

Here are a few pics of my electric fan installation.

This is a 16" generic fan mounted directly to the radiator. The factory shroud has been removed and discarded along with the factory metal fan & clutch assembly. New water pump, radiator, hoses, thermostat, radiator cap, and coolant have been installed.

Fan operation is controlled by a coolant triggered sensor, and I have a manual switch on the dash in case I wish to draw air over the A/C condensor to keep cool in traffic or on those slow back roads.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:27 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you run into issues with the eFan not pulling enough air flow since the entire radiator core face isn't covered with a shroud, you might need to find your old shroud and put the eFan and motor mounted into it instead. Or if that shroud isn't anymore available, a few simple cut sheets of polypropylene and CPVC would be the ticket to make one easily by hand.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:53 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Very nice and you did really clean job.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:49 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by stev
If you run into issues with the eFan not pulling enough air flow since the entire radiator core face isn't covered with a shroud, you might need to find your old shroud and put the eFan and motor mounted into it instead. Or if that shroud isn't anymore available, a few simple cut sheets of polypropylene and CPVC would be the ticket to make one easily by hand.
One of my goals was actually to rid myself of the factory shroud which is now sitting up in my loft along with the fan/clutch assembly. I'm almost looking forward to my next serpentine belt change.

I do a lot of highway driving so the radiator sees 65MPH+ airflow across all vanes most of the time. Running in town at 35MPH creates just as much airflow as the most powerful eFan.

When you add the efficiency of the new aluminum radiator vanes versus the factory copper there's almost no way possible for me to overheat.

For Pennsylvaina, this is a great setup.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
there's almost no way possible for me to overheat.
Now you've done it. Better go knock on some wood and double check that AAA membership.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:25 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
For Pennsylvaina, this is a great setup.
Back in 2005, I was towing through PA from Philly, to Lancaster, to York, to Gettysburg. For two days of the trip, the outdoor temps were over 100 that summer! Mine being a 2001 with the factory tranny cooler held up except after going up a steep incline on the interstate. I had to pull over and let it cool down. Other than that one time event, the cooling system has worked flawlessly.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by stev
Back in 2005, I was towing through PA from Philly, to Lancaster, to York, to Gettysburg. For two days of the trip, the outdoor temps were over 100 that summer!
We had that same weather about two weeks ago; 100 degrees and 90% humidity. I was running up Route 33 North to Dingman's Ferry and the temp gauge was at 3/4 for part of the trip. That's what finally convinced me it was time to change my radiator and water pump. I was so worried at one point I actually turned off the A/C, opened the windows and ran the heat on full blast to get my engine temp down to 1/2 way on the gauge. Not a pleasant experience when the outside temp is 100 degrees!

Check out the condition of my old radiator after 13 years of service...

My fan shroud was the only thing holding the right radiator bracket together -- notice the nice collection of crap at the bottom!

Old 08-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by alloro
Now you've done it. Better go knock on some wood and double check that AAA membership.
I know. Still carrying a gallon of 50/50 coolant mix with me just in case something on my project goes haywire.

So far, so good.

Quick Reply: eFan Installation Pictures