Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Some bad surface rust on the roof rain gutters

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Some bad surface rust on the roof rain gutters

My van is starting to have some bad surface rust on the roof rain gutters (drip rail) around the van. Almost the whole gutter has surface rust/pitting. It's the only place where the paint and primer is gone and only bare metal shows.

There was a thread a little while back found here that the roof rain gutters were rusted completely through: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ding-foam.html

I plan on getting some naval jelly to clean the rust out, use Rustoleum rust converter paint, then applied some factory color matched paint. Or, what would be the best thing to use to coat the bare metal where the paint once was? I was thinking of some sort of dark primer or black primer that will not flake nor peal off and no longer rust up there.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stev there was another member whom had the rust starting and used the black truck bed liner on his drip rails. His van was a dark green and looked good with the black done to it.

If yours is a black van then the truck bed liner paint should blend in well. Also it will be stronger then the OEM paint it has now. I would use it over the primer. I may do mine in a white if I can find some.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:08 PM
stev
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Mobile Auto Repair
Stev there was another member whom had the rust starting and used the black truck bed liner on his drip rails. His van was a dark green and looked good with the black done to it.

If yours is a black van then the truck bed liner paint should blend in well. Also it will be stronger then the OEM paint it has now. I would use it over the primer. I may do mine in a white if I can find some.
My van looks very close to the avatar in my postings. It's military army metallic green. So, yes, the black would look well.

Also, since moving from rust belt city Buffalo, NY to Nashville, the rust has greatly slowed. However, What is there is coming apart. I plan on grinding, patching and possibly using a black color up to the first body crease that is the same elevation as the bumpers. It should do well.

I sold a 1985 Dodge Caravan a few years back to a friend. He is a house painter. He used a standard roller brush and foam brushes to paint the lower 1/3 of the body a darker color for a two tone look. The job turned out great.

I'll look into the bed-liner material. It may take a quart to do the job right. The entire inside of the gutter is bare and up to 1/2" following up the roof going all around. Tapping it off and doing the job will make it look factory.

I have seen so many Ford E-vans with bad rain gutters too that are only 3-5 years old. Mine is only at 9 years.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Ghostyman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stev
There was a thread a little while back found here that the roof rain gutters were rusted completely through: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ding-foam.html
That's my van and the Eternabond tape has held up great. It would just look ugly on your van. I have to say, owning a California van is great -- it may be 37 years old but that was the only place where the rust was past the surface.

One thing you might consider is Ospho on the bare metal and then paint over that. I've taken to using a single-stage polyurethane boat paint for all my vehicle painting applications. It can be brushed or sprayed on and has a great finish. Doesn't need to be clear coated and you can always find matching touchup at any marine store. The brand I have used is Brightside by Interlux.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

I just came across the photo album of someone fixing their roof/gutter. I don't think it's a Dodge van but the procedure should be the same.
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...ion/?start=all

Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 PM
stev
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by alloro
I just came across the photo album of someone fixing their roof/gutter. I don't think it's a Dodge van but the procedure should be the same.
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...ion/?start=all
WOW that roof rail is a mess to repair. Looks like the person did a great job restoring it. My van isn't at all that bad.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:38 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by stev
Looks like the person did a great job restoring it.
I thought so too. I especially liked that handheld spot welder he was using. I might have to get me one of those.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Ristow

Rust Bullet or a similar encapsulator will stop further rusting and fill the pits sealing off any potential leaks.

i've not been impressed with rustoleum products.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ristow
Rust Bullet or a similar encapsulator will stop further rusting and fill the pits sealing off any potential leaks.

i've not been impressed with rustoleum products.
Eastwood makes a fine rust encapsulator paint. It comes ready-mixed in aerosol cans in a few different colors. I used it during a Mercedes chassis rust repair with excellent results, much better than I expected.

It comes in quart and gallon cans (very thick) for brush on application or you can add lacquer thinner and use a spray gun. Bulk cans are black only.

Last edited by Rusty93RamVan; 11-07-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 PM
miguey
Amateur

mine is like that also

Quick Reply: Some bad surface rust on the roof rain gutters