Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Miss at idle and rough idle, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IcantDo55
Would that not trip a code for a lean condition like P0171 or something like that?
Never did on mine.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 PM
IcantDo55
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other ideas? Anyone.....

Old 02-16-2011, 04:38 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by IcantDo55
Other ideas? Anyone.....
Originally Posted by alloro
Replace the ignition coil.
Did you ever?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:55 PM
IcantDo55
Amateur

Did you ever?

Yes, replaced.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

What's odd is that when you swapped the injectors for 3 and 5 it caused 4 to start misfiring. Not to be insulting, but rather just to be sure, tell us the cylinder number layout you're using.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
IcantDo55
Amateur

What's odd is that when you swapped the injectors for 3 and 5 it caused 4 to start misfiring. Not to be insulting, but rather just to be sure, tell us the cylinder number layout you're using.

I her ya man. I'm a ford guy at heart and all these random numbering systems are just strange.

Front

Right?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:14 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes that's correct.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

The fact that it ran good with the Doghouse off but started misfiring again when you reinstalled it points to the SP wires. When you reinstall the DH, it pushes the wires down. They could be grounding out on something or even on the cover itself.

Do not assume that since the SP wires look fine, they are. I had one set under a year old light up like a fireworks display at night. SP Wires degrade faster in Vans due to space limitations and the extra heat build up under the DH.

I have a set of 35$ Taylor wires. They have outlived any other wires by a factor of 3 so far.

Make sure the New wires cannot touch each other or anything grounded, especially when the DH is re installed.

Also Clean your battery to engine ground and check the engine to frame ground. Make sure your distributor cap has brass contacts.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:00 AM
IcantDo55
Amateur

Originally Posted by landyacht318
The fact that it ran good with the Doghouse off but started misfiring again when you reinstalled it points to the SP wires. When you reinstall the DH, it pushes the wires down. They could be grounding out on something or even on the cover itself.

Do not assume that since the SP wires look fine, they are. I had one set under a year old light up like a fireworks display at night. SP Wires degrade faster in Vans due to space limitations and the extra heat build up under the DH.

I have a set of 35$ Taylor wires. They have outlived any other wires by a factor of 3 so far.

Make sure the New wires cannot touch each other or anything grounded, especially when the DH is re installed.

Also Clean your battery to engine ground and check the engine to frame ground. Make sure your distributor cap has brass contacts.
Replaced all wires and cap and rotor with brass contact ones. Clean all grounds. Cleared codes.

Drove it today and still idling rough and a few miles into the trip it popped a CEL again! I will pull the code in the morning.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:52 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

I think you have to consider the plenum gasket, or debris in the fuel rails to the injectors. I do not have a magnum engine and am not familiar with those procedures.

You can try putting a bottle of Techron or Gumout regane in the fuel tank, and you can try introducing some Seafoam into the Vacuum lines if you want to smoke out the neighborhood.

The Techron is effective at cleaning the injectors. The Seafoam will remove a lot of built up carbon from the intake valves and combustion chamber. Seafoam also has a more expensive aerosol spray which I feel is more effective and safer when sprayed into the intake of a running engine.

Also listen for vacuum leaks by putting a length of hose to your ear and moving the other end around every vacuum line you can see/find.

Quick Reply: Miss at idle and rough idle, ideas?