Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Need a New PCM/ECM/ECU

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 PM
WE-B-VANNIN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a New PCM/ECM/ECU

I'm new to the Forum but not new to Forums in general. I joined because I just purchased a used 2001 Dodge Ram Van 1500 Conversion. It's a nice ride but needs a little work. I am down to one major issue and a couple of minor issues so.....I came to the EXPERTS. I am getting a P0601 Code which means I need a new PCM. The vehicle runs good and I can clear the code but within a couple of start ups the light is back on with the same code. I have searched the internet and found seveal companies that offer remanned ECU's however I cant find any without a ton of negative reviews. Can anyone recommend a company they have delt with? Or does someone have a Van they are parting out with a known good ECM that I could get reflashed? My van has a 3spd auto tranny with the 3.9 V6. I would definitely appreciate any input.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:40 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Post the ECM number (ends in AB I think) and we'll see if we can find one for you. Have you considered a used one? They're less expensive and if the numbers match you just swap it, no flashing required.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Supradude
Rookie

I bought my A-1 Cardone rebuilt from rockauto dot com. It was actually rebuilt unlike the NAPA PCMs which are pulled, spray painted black then boxed, and sold as rebuilt. I've had it for over a year and it works perfectly right out of the box, and still working perfectly.

Last edited by Supradude; 07-18-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 PM
WE-B-VANNIN

Thanks for the help, I have definitely have considered a used one but I was reading on one of the forums that from 2000 up the ECM clears itself once it is unplugged and/or removed from the vehicle. I dont know if this is true or not, so I didnt know whether to pursue that avenue or not.
As a follow up to the issue with the ECM I also took the vehicle and had the battery checked today and it was bad, I havent had any issues with it starting but I was reading how a bad battery can cause codes. Since I had the battery checked the light has went off and not came back on. I have now replaced the battery and will drive it and see what happens (with my fingers crossed). Just in case here is my ECU Part number. P56040 254AD

Old 04-01-2011, 03:12 PM
WE-B-VANNIN

Ok....need some additonal help. The CEL came back on with the P0601 code so I have purchased a remanned unit from a local computer shop here in Houston. I installed last night (battery was disconnected) and it ran fine, ran fine today to work but at lunch the light is back on with the P0601 code. The guy at the computer shop is telling me that some is frying the computer and causing the code, the technician tells me it is just a ECM thing that nothing has to happen to cause it. The guy at the computer shop is acting like he will not exchange the unit until I verify there is nothing causing the issue. Any ideas on something that can cause the P0601 outside of the ECM?

Old 04-01-2011, 04:39 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

P0601 is an internal PCM failure code, nothing external can cause it. Tell the computer shop guy that if he wants to play rough, then he has to verify that his used/rebuilt PCM was good to begin with. If he can prove that, then you will start checking all of the wiring in your van.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 PM
WE-B-VANNIN

The pcm guy tells me when they flash the units they do it on the dodge website and that it also tests the unit. He told me to bring it back for a test. Can't get it back to them till next thursday. If anyone has any more input before I take it back, I'm all ears

Old 04-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Supradude
Rookie

Find out where your shop got the PCM, if it came from NAPA which is the only local parts store that can supply one here where I live, thats probably your problem. As I stated above whoever supplies NAPA with their PCMS simply spray paints them and calls them remanufactured, I know I went through three of them.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:03 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a reman Cardone in my '89. It is about 5 years old.

At about 13 months I started getting a code 53, Internal SMEC problem detected.

No driveabilities issues. No CEL.

Cardone says that all sensors must be tested for resistance and solenoids must not be shorted.

I found a wire leading to my transmission had chafed in the slipstream and was grounding out on the tranny bell housing, then I bough the reman ECM.

http://www.cardone.com/English/club/...PARTNUM=799889

Old 04-10-2011, 12:38 PM
WE-B-VANNIN

Thanks for all the good input. I didnt make it to exchange the ECU this thursday so i have taken this weekend to try to inspect all my wiring and conectors and havent really found anything i would consider an issue. the next step would be hooking up a diagnostic tool that can monitor all the components individually (rather than checking every solinoid and relay seperately but I dont have one. a mechanic will want an arm and leg to do this im sure. can anyone recommend an OBD scanner for the laptop that works with dodge