Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

I can't figure out why I am misfiring help please !

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Samd
I've never changed the ignition coil. How would I check that? It does it while trying to start but won't actually start. It winds up draining my battery in about 4 or 5 turn overall then I have to wait for my battery to charge up. I didn't reread the codes bc I couldn't get my hands on the computer yet

"4or5 turn...then I have to wait for ....battery to charge up"

If I am understanding you correctly that this battery won't turn over very long before needing to recharge then you may have just explained the starting problem. If the battery has a very low charge it can turn the starter motor but not have enough voltage left over to allow the PCM to run the engine. How old is this battery? And does it always start right after recharging the battery?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:52 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

If batteries could be recharged as fast as many people think, there would be no energy crisis.

Your alternator will need many hours of driving to bring a dead battery to 80% charged, and many more hours to bring it to 100%

The best alternator in the world is not immune to this fact.

And these Vans, especially the '94 and up models get very finicky with a weak battery.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:50 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by landyacht318
If batteries could be recharged as fast as many people think, there would be no energy crisis.
I have DeWalt cordless power tools and the batteries only take 15 minutes to fully charge up. Maybe it's time to get away from lead-acid batteries in vehicles.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:06 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

I claim no expertise in nicad or li ion or lipo batteries.

But they are a completely different animal then the standard Lead Acid starting or deep cycle battery.

I have a 19.2 Nicad volt porter cable drill I got new at Lowes for 70 dollars. now 4 years later the batteries do not have much life left in them, but they want 80 dollars for a replacement battery.

Think about how much capacity an 80$ car battery has compared to a cordless drill battery.

Well, I'm a million miles off topic, good going alloro.

Lead acid batteries take forever to charge to 100% via alternator.

That is my point. The OP's battery might have a shorted cell, or a highly resitive one which might conceivably cause the misfire issues.

If it dies so quickly on starting attempts, it is either far from fully charged, or so weak/sulfated as to be near useless.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:08 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by landyacht318
Well, I'm a million miles off topic, good going alloro.
Don't blame me because you're getting old and your mind wanders. You didn't have to reply to my post!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Samd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I put in a new battery and it's def. Better starting. It starts perfectly fine AFTER the first start in the morning. But the first start is still rough. It misfires pretty badly upon first starting up in the morning, so badly yesterday morning actuallynit look a good minute of driving down the road before it really caught and would accelerate.... So I'm wondering what you guys think? I'm still pulling the codes for misfire and random misfire.... But also as soon as I put the new battery and fuel pump in and took it for it's first drive it intermittently will change the amount of pressure required on the accelerator? Weird... It just went from requiring it's usual amount of pressure to requiring half. Like I'll barely have to tap the pedal for it to go. But then it'll revert back or it won't and I have to shut it off and restart it bc it makes my transmission get all whacky. Like it won't shift. This is odd....

Old 05-13-2011, 07:56 PM
iodj44
Veteran

Read bulletin and perform likely solve your problem.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/faqs/l/bl654h.htm

Best of luck.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Samd

Ok last thing, I'm leaving in a long road trip next week and I really need her running well. I'm still having the same starting up problem in the morning and the morning only...it seems if it sits to long it forgets what its supposed to do. it just keeps turning over in the am until finally after about 35 seconds it'll catch and run. Idk what to d what I forgot to put in my other posts is that this problem only started after I had a guy put in a new water pump, radiator thermostat and the tune up. that's when it all started...please help I really need to get this done in the next two days

Old 05-14-2011, 01:35 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Samd
it just keeps turning over in the am until finally after about 35 seconds it'll catch and run.
That's due to a leaking check valve in the fuel pump assembly.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Samd

How would I fix that? There is nothing leaking out from under the van ...

Quick Reply: I can't figure out why I am misfiring help please !