Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Freeze Plug Leaking; several questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:46 PM
ricksta56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeze Plug Leaking; several questions?

Hi Guys,
I have a rusted out freeze plug. It leaks, and I think its due to rust eating the freeze plug so thin it finally popped. What is the best way to remove this plug? It is the forward most on the drivers side of the motor front cylinder area. If I can't get the freeze plug out, can I use JB Weld to repair this leak? I'm thinking my vans cooling system is too rusty and I bought some PEAK radiator super cleaner and flush. I need to fix my leak first but is this product good for cleaning out some rust? Thanks as your experience is always helpful.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 PM
ricksta56

If it matters my van is a 1994 RamVan 250.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

You have to replace it, do not use JB Weld. Using that will defeat the purpose of the freeze plug and you can end up with a cracked block.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 AM
ricksta56

O.K. I don't want to crack the block, so out it comes. Do I just try prying it out with a screwdriver or some such metal chisel or punch? Is there a "proper" way to remove a freeze plug?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:05 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by ricksta56
Do I just try prying it out with a screwdriver
Yeah, pretty much.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:19 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hammer and a punch. Select one spot along the edge of the freeze plug, a position where you have room to position the punch, and hit it. Hammer only that one edge and the plug will swivel in the plug hole or come loose and fall in. Remove with pliers. Install new plug carefully with a round punch (or an appropriately sized socket) and tap gently into place with a hammer.

If you dont have room to hit it squarely this won't work. There are rubber/steel freeze plugs with a bolt in the center that can be installed in tight locations when you don't want to pull the motor.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:20 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removing the old plug is easy. Just put a flathead screwdriver on the top of the plug and hammer. The bottom will rotate out and you can pull it out with pliers.

Getting the new plug in is the hard part. It has to be installed perfectly straight, and access to a straight shot is not easy.

They sell the rubber type which expands within the hole by tightening a bolt, but these only last a few years, but are much easier to install if you cannot get a straight shot.

Get a couple extra if you attempt to use the brass replacement plugs. Do not bother with steel plugs.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:47 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Coat around the edge of the new freeze plug with some RTV sealer. This will aid in sealing, but more importantly it will act as a lubricant and allow the freeze plug to go in with less effort.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:51 AM
ricksta56

Thanks for the info guys on removing the old plug and installing a new one. What do you guys recommend to use to flush the rust out of the system.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by ricksta56
What do you guys recommend to use to flush the rust out of the system.
A garden hose and lots of water is usually all you need to remove sediment and rust scale.

Quick Reply: Freeze Plug Leaking; several questions?