Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

more 2000 fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 PM
offroadohio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more 2000 fuel pump issues

2000 Ram van 1500 with 3.9

I have no power to the fuel pump.

I have swapped the ASD and the fuel pump relays with others from the van, you can feel them both kicking on with the key and hear them click off.

I have checked and swapped around the numer 18 fuel pump fuse and the number 6 fuel pump/asd fuse. Checked power to those fueses aswell.

I have hooked the fuel pump up direct and it will run. I have plugged a brand new pump into the harness and it doesnt run.

Ive checked for power in the harness at the fuel pump and the connector a little ways up the frame and have nothing.

Fuel guage works as it should.

Van does ahve spark.

Before I lost power to the fuel pump I did notice anytime I unhooked the battery or it was low on voltage ( needed a jump) the van would not idle for 10 minutes or so and it would take a couple days fo drivign for the trans to start shifting properly ( hard shifts and the lock up converter wouldnt lock up all the time. I'm not sure if that could be a sign of a PCM going bad and it finally failed but I wanted to toss it out there.

Any ideas? I've searched and found alot of threads about fuel pumps and relays but none that helps me out (unless i over looked them)

Old 07-30-2011, 01:17 AM
offroadohio

Also the fuel pump relay stays pretty warm all the time.

If I remove it and reinstall it with key on or off it clicks once. terminal 86 is hot all the time.

Ive jumped 87 to 30 and nothing happens

touching 86 and 87 lights my test light.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pin 30 stays hot, jumping to pin 87 will send the power to the fuel pump. Since no power is getting to the pump module then you may have a break in the wire. Or even a bad pump ground. How are you checking the power when you are under the van, how are you hooking your meter's probes up to the wires?

Old 07-30-2011, 06:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I agree. How are you checking the power and grounds. Are you using a 12 volts light or a DVOM?

Old 07-30-2011, 07:32 PM
offroadohio

All I hve is a test light. I did get the pump to trigger for a little bit by jerking on wires aroudn the pcm. Then it quit again and I cant duplicate it. I have no idea where to even begin to look for the issue.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Colookout

Hey master tech, or Mobile Auto Repair are either of you still available?

I would like additional information pertaining to; jumping 87 to 30...

Prior to trying this, I want to make sure I understand completely. Do I take a piece of wire and insert in both ports, 87 & 30 then insert the relay?

I tried adding a ground wire from battery to the ground port #85, yet the fuel pump still did not come one... 2000 Dodge Durango 4.7.

Both the cam sensor and crank sensors were replaced, and I replaced the fuel pump to.

Thank you

Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Yes use a piece of wire and attach to male spade terminals to that wire. And insert into pin slots 87 and 30, do not reattach the relay while doing this test.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Colookout

Super!! With the jumper wire it finally started... I shut it off due to not knowing...

I tried it a third time, first two times it sort of started, then the third time it was acting like it wanted to start. If it would have actually started all the way I would have shut it off due to now knowing if I would have made things worse by running it with a jumper...

What do I do now at this point please?

Do I run new hot wire to the fuel pump, and new ground wire?

Thank you very much!

Steven

Last edited by Colookout; 07-23-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Check pins 86 and 85 for 12 volt power and the other for ground. One of these two pins will have power when the key is turn to the run position. If you have ground but not power then check the from that slot to the fuse. If you have power but not ground then check that line back to the PCM for a break in the wire.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Colookout

Could I get you to please assist with the wire colors for
DB/WT
RD/WT
DG/BK
LG/BK

I'm sure the WT are for white... DB- dark blue... RD- red... DG dark green...BK- black... and the LG- light green?

Quick Reply: more 2000 fuel pump issues