Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Cut pipes, Replacing ONLY the cat... (?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 01:18 AM
ericralph
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut pipes, Replacing ONLY the cat... (?)

I'll try to get to the point...

I have time, not much money and it looks like I could save a good $150-$250+ if I could replace JUST the Catalytic Converter and not the exhaust pipes in front and back. It's bad beyond any doubt at this point, needs to go and all the exhaust pipes are sound.

I see that handy chain type cutting gripper tool looks pretty slick I could rent.
I also assume I could try a pipe expander too pair the pipes - if not maybe pipe couplers... not 100% what I'll do at this point. (its a 2 in 1out Cat-con) - flex pipe looks nice but the cost of those would begin to diminish the point... I dont weld and called a muffler shop and they wanted $200 just to weld it on... yikes.

Am I on to something?
Will I curse the day I was born by not sucking it up and buying the exact fit assembly?
A temporary headache I can handle; spending $300+ I cannot.
I'm green as hell so please bring to my attention anything I'm missing or better ideas.

**Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram Van/Wagon 1500

Old 03-10-2015, 03:27 AM
sparkzz
Veteran

From my personal experience fiddling with muffler and exhaust pipes in the driveway:

I think you should really pay attention to your 4th line from the bottom.
Bite the bullet and take it to a muffler shop.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:13 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Getting an aftermarket cat to fit a dual in single out cat will be a nightmare. Trust me, I've done it. Plus, you will have to get it welded anyway, inspection wont pass a clamped on catalytic converter. It's got to be welded.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:30 PM
funair02
All Star

I bought a universal with the same pipe diameter and for $50 had it welded on down in get 'er dun land

Amazon has hundreds to choose from...

Old 03-11-2015, 10:00 AM
funair02
All Star
Old 03-11-2015, 10:33 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Thats a single in, single out....much easier and cheaper...OP has dual in, single out.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:37 AM
ericralph
Rookie

yup. not a straight pipe here. I wish.

I believe I'll just buy the whole thing seems the trouble verse money saved isn't worth it. Might have to sell off a guitar and amp or two...

Old 03-12-2015, 09:43 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, the job can be easy or hard. Depends on how you go about it.

Order the new CAT. Some come with pipe flare flanges already to fit onto the existing pipe. Cut as close to the old CAT as possible. DO NOT bother the O2 sensors.

If you can not weld nor have access to a welder, here's a GREAT tip ... Go to the tractor supply store and get the black stove pipe cement that can withstand a zillion degrees of heat. Use this to seal the pipe sections to the CAT flared ends. AND to ensure the stove cement stays, use worn gear clamps until the stove cement hardens full in 72-hours.

I've done that to the 1999 B1500 conversion I had. The method worked like a dream and saved so much $$$$$$$ going to a muffle/pipe shop.

Mow, if you go to places like Rockauto.com, they sell the CAT and the pipes up to the manifolds. I would first examine the bolts on the manifolds first before doing the swap. Also, the O2 sensors would need to be pulled in this instance.

I did get the CAT only from Rockauto.com. Can't remember if it was from a 3.9L Dakota or something else Dodge truck based.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:26 PM
2 Dodge Vans
Amateur

Originally Posted by funair02
This is the route I'm going, did you notice any more power ?

Old 04-26-2015, 07:09 PM
ericralph
Rookie

AHHHH!!!! just typed a huge thing and the page crashed... so now here's my abbreviated version...

got the full pipe assembly with cat for around 220 shipped off ebay; cat was pretty puny - The van drove like new after it was on but there was SO MUCH work done, including a valve job and head gaskets that it's tough to tell what had the most effect. Overall though. It def needed to be done.

no idea how it will all fair - sold the van for about 2k over KBB and got a camry in trade- so no more dodge for the time being.

Ill get an RV someday or another touring camper van. for now enjoying NOT spending 100 a week on gas.

Quick Reply: Cut pipes, Replacing ONLY the cat... (?)