Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 B250 Couple of Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 06:01 AM
mikisurf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 B250 Couple of Issues

Hi, I'm from Italy and just bought a 2000 B250 Van Ram Conversion. Engine should be 5.9 Magnum.
I'm a very newbie and have no experience.

I've had several problems with the Engine ECU that was bypassed the second time I had to stop because the alternator didn't receive any pulse to charge the battery.
My first question is, what does the ECU control on the van? is it safe to drive with the ECU bypassed?

Also, does this computer manage also the internal lights and the buzzer? this because the buzzer doesn't work anymore and internal lights have strange behaviours... is it the same ECU or should I look for a different one? Where?

Thanks for your help
Miki

Old 02-09-2017, 06:48 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

The PCM (ECU) for the most part controls the engine and all of the sensors. It does not control the lights or buzzer.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:40 AM
mikisurf

Originally Posted by alloro
The PCM (ECU) for the most part controls the engine and all of the sensors. It does not control the lights or buzzer.
Thanks for your answer; would it be a problem to drive having the ECU bypassed?

Old 02-10-2017, 11:32 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

let us make sure we are all using the same terminology here...
the PCM, which is the box above the engine, attached to the firewall with 3 wire bundle connectors going to it, in this model is called the PCM...

One caution, anytime you are working with the PCM, make sure that the positive battery cable is disconnected from the battery. This means when you are plugging or unplugging the wire bundles that plug into the PCM, the battery must be disconnected.

the PCM handles all control functions of the engine. it connects to a number of sensors and controls spark timing and regulates charging the battery from the alternator.

You may be able to bypass a function like alternator charging of the battery and get away with it for a time, but the PCM is probably damaged and at some point other things will begin to happen that will either cause your Dodge to not start or not run properly.

You can purchase from a number of internet sources replacement PCM modules. These are specific to your VIN number and mileage and this info will be required if you purchase another. Getting another PCM can be the answer to your problems, but sometimes is money wasted.

Anytime Dodge owners that ask about electrical issues, then a standard answer on this board is to check for good grounding contacts on all of the wires that are connected to the body or the engine. Corrosion on the contact points can make for some goofy electrical issues. In this case make sure your alternator wiring is connected properly.

RAM conversion vans often have lighting systems that were installed after the factory by the conversion people. These electrical systems are often poorly documented by these conversion sellers and you are pretty much on your own when dealing with this add-on lighting because every year and every maker is different.

I hope all of this makes sense to you and I wish you good luck.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:49 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mikisurf
Thanks for your answer; would it be a problem to drive having the ECU bypassed?
There's no such thing as bypassing the ECU. It controls the engine and without it the engine cannot run.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:26 AM
mikisurf

Originally Posted by rsdata
let us make sure we are all using the same terminology here...
the PCM, which is the box above the engine, attached to the firewall with 3 wire bundle connectors going to it, in this model is called the PCM...

One caution, anytime you are working with the PCM, make sure that the positive battery cable is disconnected from the battery. This means when you are plugging or unplugging the wire bundles that plug into the PCM, the battery must be disconnected.

the PCM handles all control functions of the engine. it connects to a number of sensors and controls spark timing and regulates charging the battery from the alternator.

You may be able to bypass a function like alternator charging of the battery and get away with it for a time, but the PCM is probably damaged and at some point other things will begin to happen that will either cause your Dodge to not start or not run properly.

You can purchase from a number of internet sources replacement PCM modules. These are specific to your VIN number and mileage and this info will be required if you purchase another. Getting another PCM can be the answer to your problems, but sometimes is money wasted.

Anytime Dodge owners that ask about electrical issues, then a standard answer on this board is to check for good grounding contacts on all of the wires that are connected to the body or the engine. Corrosion on the contact points can make for some goofy electrical issues. In this case make sure your alternator wiring is connected properly.

RAM conversion vans often have lighting systems that were installed after the factory by the conversion people. These electrical systems are often poorly documented by these conversion sellers and you are pretty much on your own when dealing with this add-on lighting because every year and every maker is different.

I hope all of this makes sense to you and I wish you good luck.
Thank you rsdata; I'll make sure to control the grounding and all the wires. Anyway in the last 15 days I've had the same problem with the PCM which got burned... the first one was replaced and the second time was just bypassed. Also the alternator was changed and by this side the wires are now ok. This means that there's something that's creating some problem... anyway I'll start from checking groundings. Thanks for the advice!

Old 02-13-2017, 03:28 AM
mikisurf

Originally Posted by alloro
There's no such thing as bypassing the ECU. It controls the engine and without it the engine cannot run.
Thank you alloro for your answer but the engine now actually does work. There's a direct connection between alternator and the battery... do you see any issue with this?

Old 02-13-2017, 08:21 AM
iodj44
Veteran

As Alloro has said the engine can not run disconnected from the pcm which I assume you are calling a ecu.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:26 AM
mikisurf

Originally Posted by iodj44
As Alloro has said the engine can not run disconnected from the pcm which I assume you are calling a ecu.
iodj, the PCM has been bypassed and now the alternator is directly connected to the battery without passing through the PCM. The engine now starts and works great.
Probably the PCM is connected to the engine for different purposes but the charge of the battery.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:48 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Since he keeps mentioning the alternator, it sounds like what he's trying to say is the PCM/ECU has had it's internal voltage regulator bypassed. It's not that the entire PCM/ECU has been bypassed.