Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Coolant temp rises while parked idling

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 08:51 PM
Dodge_USA_Dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant temp rises while parked idling

So today I was in my 99 ram van parked and cleaning the interior. I let the car run so I could run the ac. After a few mins, "check gauges" light was on and the coolant temp was all the way up.

I turned the van off and lt it sit, checked the coolant fluid level and it was full. I let the van cool off and drve home. No issues driving home, but i did notice while stopped at a light, the temp gauge seemed to be rising faster than whioe driving.

Is the sensor busted? Does a bad water pump usually show symptoms like this? Last time I replaced a water pump on a different car there was noise from the pump, nothing like this.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by Dodge_USA_Dude; 04-22-2017 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Change email sub
Old 04-23-2017, 09:41 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the fan clutch probably needs to be replaced...

Old 04-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Dodge_USA_Dude
Professional

Thx rsdata. Is there a way to test it? I did some research and have seen issues stemming from the thermostat and wiring. Is the fan clutch the more common issue with the ram van?

​​​​​​​Thx again.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:59 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thermostats usually break closed and cuts off coolant flow altogether
you could always just take it out to test it... it should be closed until you put it in a pan of boiling water then it should open

fan clutch engages fan to turn full speed when engine heat rises, and to let fan slip and go slower when cooling air is flowing through rad at road speed... idle speed is not enough air flow to cool rad, and fan clutch is still allowing fan to go too slow...

clutch can fail on any vehicle/engine

some have taken fan off altogether and added newer electric fans to the rad setup... search this forum for several write-ups, this will give the engine a bit more available HP by removing the weight of the metal fan from the engine... owners from deep south have done this swap because of underhood temps in the summer

you might also want to try a rad flush and add a coolant supplement before tackling the more expensive clutch fix...

Old 04-23-2017, 04:25 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd start with the simple stuff first as rsdata mentioned by checking the fan clutch first. Cold engine, spin the fan and should get some resistance and spin maybe only a 1/4 turn. Warmed engine spins a bit more freely but mine spins less than one turn (about 2/3rds turn), if it spins a lot it's time for a new clutch. Also check that there is no wobble.

If those check out okay likely will have to get at the thermostat and good time to flush the system I'd say...

Old 04-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Dodge_USA_Dude
Professional

Thx all. I figue while I am in there, I might replace a few things to be safe. Depending on pricing, I may replace the water pump, fan clutch, thermostat and install an oil cooler (heard it improves towing which is what I plan on doing). I'll be flushing the radiator as well and possibly changing it. I have to look into the mod or upgrade rsdata mentioned with the fan. I suppose I will do that instead if it is within my capabilities. My main issue now is that my jack stands and jack are only 2ton. Sigh lol

Old 05-25-2019, 06:58 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by nyc05dakv8
I turned the van off and lt it sit, checked the coolant fluid level and it was full.
Sure you didn't just check the overflow bottle? Checking the actual pressurised radiator cap would have required you to sit there for a long time till it cooled off.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Sure you didn't just check the overflow bottle? Checking the actual pressurised radiator cap would have required you to sit there for a long time till it cooled off.
2 year old thread? I would hope they have this figgered out by now.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:28 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
2 year old thread? I would hope they have this figgered out by now.
LOL. Somehow I missed that. Won"t be the first time.