Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

6/77 B300 Coachmen | Rear Brakes Locked-up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 04:30 PM
itls@sbcglobal.net
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I need help please also..

Originally Posted by lucky77
1974-1990 b300, b350 van with 9000 pound gvw
i need help also.. I have a 1978 dodge maxi-van 360 b300 and someone broke the oil dipstick tube right where it goes into the block.. It's an even break.. How do i get the piece that is still inside the block out so i can replace it with a new dipstick and tube ???
Vic
thanks

Old 10-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Lucky77
Amateur

maybe some type of slide hammer device with a hook on the end that will fit into the dipstick hole.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:01 PM
Lucky77
Amateur

itls, my main problem is getting the truck to even roll. I need to get this thing movable. It appears the passenger side seized back up also.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:11 AM
tjkoko
Professional

Originally Posted by itls@sbcglobal.net
i need help also.. I have a 1978 dodge maxi-van 360 b300 and someone broke the oil dipstick tube right where it goes into the block.. It's an even break.. How do i get the piece that is still inside the block out so i can replace it with a new dipstick and tube ???
Vic
thanks
I am not experienced with this operation but maybe by heating the area would facilitate removal using the slide hammer. Best consult with a mechanic have some machine shop skills.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Removing the bolts from the wheel cylinder won't really help, unless you also cut/break the nails that hold the shoes in place during assembly. You will also have to disconnect the brake lines from the cylinders. Then the entire thing should slide right off. (if you have the bearing nuts removed.... take it hub, and all.) Of course, the ebrake cable is still going to want to hold it all in place too...... if you don't want to deal with that, need a different approach.

Have you checked to see if the rear brake adjusters are seized? If not, simply adjust them as loose as possible, then try and get the drums to break loose. If the engine runs, might try shifting from drive, to reverse a few times, (with the rear axle supported on jack stands) to see if that will break 'em loose.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:50 AM
likestoparty

Yeah, man, do a combination of all this advice. I watched it work and was amazed. I bet:
*loosening the adjusters
*heating the drum anywhere you can that won't ruin any seals
*a second person rocking it violently into Drive and reverse.

And, hopefully your van should go POP!
I do suppose that's precluded by getting the engine working. What's the matter with it?