Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

No spark Dodge B250 318

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 03:56 AM
Panzerfaust
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought this van 2 months ago I never saw a Check engine light. It does took ages for it to run.
​​​​​​Then 3 weeks ago it just died. No 12 volt at the coil.
I jumped it and it was okay or maybe I was just lucky that the car ran again. Now there is no ground and no 12 volt at the coil. I am ordering the ECU just too make sure. Thanks for thinking. Does the ECU also control the overdrive? Because that didn't work.

Wow, those aftermarket heads are not cheap. I just leave the engine this way. It runs and it moves the 2500 kilogram van.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:53 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

yes the ecu controls overdrive but usually if it is not shifting into overdrive there must be something else not working. are you 100% sure it has a overdrive transmission in it?

Old 05-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Panzerfaust

I removed the ECM today when I was at my niece. That is where the van is. It is about 60 miles from where I live. I want to order an ECM at Rockauto but I cannot find a decal with information on it. Do you have any idea which one I should buy? There are 3 variatiesne for the 3 speed and 2 for the 4 speed.

​​​​​To be honest I do not have an idea if it is really an overdrive Torqueflite. I only have a button on which you can shut the Overdrive off or on. When I drive 65 mph the engine makes almost 3000 rpm.
I will ask my niece to make a picture of the underside of the car so I can identify the tranny.
I will get back with an answer
​​​​​​Stay safe and thanks

Old 05-07-2018, 07:58 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Panzerfaust
There are 3 variatiesne for the 3 speed and 2 for the 4 speed.

​​​​​To be honest I do not have an idea if it is really an overdrive Torqueflite.
Someone with the same engine and year b250 as you (what year is it?) regarding your pcm info
Open the hood and look on the underside of it, over the battery area. Should be a factory sticker stating a 3 letter code and what transmission you have, 3 spd, 4 spd etc.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:31 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

ya there is usually a sticker with most of the vehicle specs on it. sometimes it gets a bit dirty or faded with age. if not you can try going to the dealer and see if they got a build sheet in the system for it. it is new enough that they might still have the spec in the system from it. i think they go back as far as 88-89 with trucks. i would assume the same with the vans. just need the vin.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Panzerfaust

Thanks for the info guys.
​​​
​​​​​​I checked the transmission visually and it is a three speed. I do have a OD/off button in the car so I thought it would be an overdrive transmission.

My van is originally from 1979. The previous owner put a 1991 318 with transmission also from 1991 in the van with all the wires and ECM. I cannot explain why there is a OD/OFF button in the van.

I disconnected the ECM but there is no decal on it. It only has one connector with 1 screw.

Shall i order the ECM for the 3 speed or should I order the 4 speed just in case I come across an overdrive transmission? Would that work?

Unfortunately there are not many salvage yards in Holland so I have to order one from the USA which is also cheaper.

Maybe I bought the van too quick but sometimes you are just in love right?

I wish you a great day off tomorrow on ascension day.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:49 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

the previous owner may have just bolted the new engine to old transmission or it could have just been one of the 91's that came with a 3 speed. i think the biggest thing to think about when ordering a computer might be whether the van actually has the wiring for 4 speed under the van. if it has wiring you could ad one in the future but if not i don't know if it would be worth it or not. i believe either computer should work tho. just the 4speed computer may have more codes every time you check for codes.

hahaha ya i know how that works sometimes. jump into buying something and over looks some of the issues but not much you can do once you own it other than fix it.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:05 PM
Panzerfaust
Default It runs!!

Hello everyone, who helped me out. The B250 is alive and kicking. I changed the ASD relay, bought.a book and changed the spark plugs, sparkplug wires and rotor and distributor cap It runs fine. But a new problem came up: when I drive 35 miles and it gets warm I have no third gear. When it is cold it is fine. Just when things get hot it has no third gear. It goes back to second and slips.oil level is okay I changed filter and oil. I read that maybe some additive like Lucas stop slip will help me out I am looking for another 727 to rebuild but I cannot find much where I live. So my question is will Lucas stop slip help me out. I know I have to rebuild this one but hey if its gonna last a few more miles then it is fine with me. Cheers

Old 06-05-2018, 08:16 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i wouldn't put much faith in the additives. if a fluid/filter change didn't help any then it might be a bit more serious than that.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:01 AM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

lucas transmission conditioner helped my 92 b250 w/od 5 years ago and still performing---i only use it on trips pulling a trailer--like sturgis and daytona---never allowing the od to engage also running in excess of speed limit on the interstates

Quick Reply: No spark Dodge B250 318