Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

No spark Dodge B250 318

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Panzerfaust
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark Dodge B250 318

Yesterday i drove the B250 and suddenly it just died. I started it again and no problem

Today i drove 1 meter and it died again. no spark at all. i also jumped the coil with 12v.
again no spark.

Please help i can not locate the asd relay.

​​​​​cheers

Old 04-09-2018, 07:25 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the asd relay should be near the 50way bulk head connector on the firewall. does the stepper motor on the throttle body still cycle when you turn the key on and off? also can you hear the fuel pump when you cycle the key?

Old 04-10-2018, 02:02 AM
Panzerfaust

ThAnks. Yes i can hear the stepper motor when i turn the ignition on.

​​​​​they disconnected the fuelpump because this car runs only on LPG so i never heared it.

​​​​​​

Old 04-10-2018, 09:06 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

ok. at least you are hearing the stepper motor which means the relay/computer should be working and getting power. have you checked to see what the computer says? the only thing i can think of that might cause spark issue is maybe the hall effect sensor but usually they will just cause things to act funny and not just stop running all together. have you tried checking for spark right from the coil? sometimes the rotor in the distributor gets damaged. i would maybe even try testing the coil.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:38 AM
Panzerfaust

Hello crazzywolfie,

thanks for your reply. i have changed the old coil with a new one from Crane Cams ( i had this one sitting on the werkbench catching dust ) but it still does'nt run at all.
The Hall sensor will be arriving next week. I do not see any codes: i put the contact on 3 times in a row but nothing flashes.
You mean that the rotor is getting too much play? It does spin when i cranked it with the distributor cap off.

Also i have a lot off play in my steering box. I know i can get that out by loosening the nut and the screw but do you have any more information for me?

Thanks in advance. p.s. are there any performance upgrades for the 318? like edelbrock heads getting the heads ported another cam headers etc etc.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:11 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i would still check for spark from the coil. that way you would be 100% sure the issue is not in the cap/rotor or wires.

you got to cycle the key to the run position and off real quick 3 times. the check engine light should flash out the codes. if it doesn't do that then there is the possibility that the computer is dead which would explain why it just quit.

are you sure the play is in the steering box and not the steering couple. i am not as familiar with the vans. i am really only familiar with the trucks. if the slop is in the steering box you can try adjusting it. there is a lock nut and allen key bolt on the top of the steering box that should help take any slop out of the box if that is where the slop is.

there are performance parts available for 318's but they are almost a waist on fuel injected vehicles since the computer is dumb so you can't even get is programmed to play nice with aftermarket parts like a cam.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Panzerfaust

Thanks for the reply. I never noticed a check engine light. There is only a red "maintenance required" lamp. Where would this check engine light be?
I have the A518 TF gearbox with overdrive.

I jumped the 15 on the coil with a wire cause I did not have a spark. A couple of days ago everything worked fine. Now I do not have a - 1 on the coil.

I ordered the following parts
hall pick up sensor
Distributor cap and rotor
Sparkplug wires
Haynes Dodge Repair Manual
Unfortunately nothing has arrived yet. I am reconsidering to order a computer. They are not too expensive.

And what about putting 360 heads on this 318 engine? With some porting? Do you repair your transmission when they are broken?

Old 05-06-2018, 05:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I think the 360 heads are the same as the 318..... depending on year....... (when they made the change from LA, to Magnum engines.....)

Are you getting power to the coil?

What year is your van??

Old 05-06-2018, 11:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i don't know where the light would be in a van. it is usually in the gauge cluster with the oil pressure light. is there possibly a light that use to come on every time you started the van that no longer comes on? the check engine is suppose to come on every time you start the engine.

powering the positive side of the coil will do absolutely nothing. the computer controls the ground signal to the coil, injectors and relays. if it is not working nothing will.

360la head have bigger valves but would lower the compression ratio of a 318 so it really wouldn't benefit from doing that. aftermarket heads would help but are not cheap. could look into 1.6 rocker arms. i think stock ratio is 1.5 but i don't know if it would effect the computer or not. i don't think it would since all the rocker arm would do is push the valve open a bit farther which would help the engine breath a bit better

Old 05-07-2018, 03:48 AM
Panzerfaust

Hello thanks for replying. No power to the coil. It is from 1991.

Quick Reply: No spark Dodge B250 318