Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1993 Dodge Ram B350 Stalling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 10:41 AM
Jakewillett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Dodge Ram B350 Stalling Issue

Hi there

I brought the 1993 Dodge Ram B350 5.9L V8 Gas Extended Passenger Van in Canada and have driven all the way to Colombia where I have started having a stalling problem. The vans engine will cut off while driving and won’t turn back on for some time. It is connected to the engine light because when you turn the key to accessories and the engine light comes on you know the vehicle will fire up but if this does not come on the van will not start. I have had the computer looked at and they replaced a micro relay for the engine cut off relay. I have had 4 different mechanics and auto electricians look at the van but are still unable to find the issue. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Here’s a list of what has been done.

- Fuel pump and tank clean. Fuel is getting to the engine as I have pulled the fuel line as I’ve turned it on.
- New battery connections.
- Repaired computer
- Tested the ignition
- Replaced coil
- All new 8 Fuel injectors
- All new spark plugs and distributior cap

Old 01-22-2019, 01:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Something is getting hot, and failing. My guess would be crank sensor, or PCM. Do you have spark when it won't start? I am guessing the fuel pump actually primes? Does it continue to run while you are cranking the engine??

Old 01-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Jakewillett

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Something is getting hot, and failing. My guess would be crank sensor, or PCM. Do you have spark when it won't start? I am guessing the fuel pump actually primes? Does it continue to run while you are cranking the engine??
thanks you the quick reply!

So I took the van for a large test drive and got it extremely hot and when I arrived back I turned it off and took the keys out and the then turned it back on and it fired up so I’m not sure if it is something over heating. Yes to the fuel pump. And with the spark when it dies it looses spark. I will try and source a new crank sensor and give that a go. Thanks again!

Old 01-23-2019, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Get a genuine Mopar brand crank sensor, these engines simply do not care for the aftermarket fellers.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:50 AM
pntyrmvr

The check engine light not working or working intermittently is a sign the computer is toast. Replace it. I have seen it 3 times in my early 90's vans. Use a genuine Chrysler computer too. I know you are in the middle of nowhere for Mopar parts, but it will be worth it in the end. The computer is 26 years old and meant to last 10 years.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:24 PM
Jakewillett

Hey so I ended up buying a new computer but I am still have the issue with the engine light I connected a wire running to the engine light wire to the positive battery terminal and this gets the engine light to work again. When the van would fire though it would not idle and stay running.... I’ve heard you may need to program the new computer to the vehicle serial number. Any ideas?

Old 03-24-2019, 07:35 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks for the update

Old 04-01-2019, 09:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

93 doesn't care about vin matching.

Have you cleaned the throttle body? IAC well tends to get gunked up, and it stops working properly.

Quick Reply: 1993 Dodge Ram B350 Stalling Issue