Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 1500 van cruise control installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 01:57 PM
Detore344
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you're saying the brake light switch is different? Looking around parts suppliers, there is no different part number with or without cruise. Anyone know why they say don't reinstall on them? Completely separate reason, but I had to pull mine out. Put it back in, brake lights still work fine.

Last edited by Detore344; 05-21-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:25 PM
Joe King

It is in 1994, it has extra wires. I can't say for sure if it is different in 2000. I bought a Mopar factory service manual for my year van which helped a lot! Cheap enough in flea Bay.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:28 PM
Detore344
Amateur

So here's an update. I took a trip back out to the yard where I got the parts from and essentially decimated the wiring harness to be sure I knew where everything went. So now I know where all the wires go and come from. I also checked to see about power to the brake switch and out to the servo. There is no power to the brake switch from the yellow and red wire, and so no power going to the servo. There is also no power going out to the on/off switch, so I'm fairly well convinced this is a programming issue. I don't have an advanced enough scan tool to access the computer and see if it is something that can be turned on or programmed, so that will be my next step. If I can't find a tool and turn it on, I will look to find a shop that can program the pcm.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

That's gonna be a pretty high zoot scanner to turn stuff on/off in the PCM....... I suspect you will need to chat with the dealer.

Think I would go after power to the switches first, as it's possible the PCM won't feed power to the servo till you tell it to.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:33 PM
Detore344
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's gonna be a pretty high zoot scanner to turn stuff on/off in the PCM....... I suspect you will need to chat with the dealer.

Think I would go after power to the switches first, as it's possible the PCM won't feed power to the servo till you tell it to.
That's part of the problem. I've been to 2 dealerships, and talking to a Service Adviser about cars, is like talking to a Bakery cashier about cars. Everyone I've talked to so far seems more confused than I do when I try to talk to women, and I don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars at a dealership when the advisers and techs have no clue what they are doing. If I could consult with someone that had an idea of how to get it done, I would gladly spend the flat rate hour on it, even though I know it'll probably take about 10 minutes.

As for the switches, I already checked and there is no power going out to them.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If the wiring is all there, think I would start at the PCM, and see where you lose power. If you don't have it at the PCM, that may imply a programming issue, or, it may just be a bad part in the PCM.

So far as I know......... those circuits should be active....... as I don't think the PCM really cares about option codes. I would almost bet money that the PCM doesn't power the servo until you tell it to turn cruise on though.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Detore344
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I would almost bet money that the PCM doesn't power the servo until you tell it to turn cruise on though.
Just for giggles (and education) I checked the power at the servo on my 93 Ramcharger. Almost identicle servo. No power until the On/Off switch is turned to on. So, in that case you are correct. But in the case of the van, there is no power to the switch, and the only 2 leads to the switch are from the PCM and a ground.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need to find out why you don't have voltage there. I have no idea if that is a programming thing, or not. I don't *think* it is......

Old 06-05-2019, 07:25 PM
Detore344
Amateur

Update: Decided to try one last time with a dealership. There are 3 in the general area. Just to remind everyone, I had tried 2. Both in parts and service, everyone looked like I had asked them to do advanced physics. But, I was running out of options. So, at the third dealership,... I ended up talking to a service advisor, and instead of looking at me like I was speaking Klingon, he went right along with it, looked up the vin#, and saw what options could be installed after production. Speed Control was right there, and it requires a reflash to the PCM. I have an appointment next Wednesday, so I won't write the Yelp review until the thing works, but great news!

So what have we learned? It doesn't matter how simple the answer is if nobody knows it. I'll update the thread if things work afterward.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Detore344
Amateur

Well,... I fought Seattle traffic today to get out to the Dodge dealership. Long story short, the program wouldn't take. Kinda bummin' out at the moment. At this point, I'm not sure what to do about it. I know there is a solution out there somewhere, but if the dealership can't make it work with their big ol' 'puter, I'm at a loss. Gonna take a break on this for a bit. If anything changes I'll update the thread, but for now, I'm defeated.

Quick Reply: 2000 1500 van cruise control installation