Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

97 B3500 Extended Heavy Towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 07:36 PM
KiernanP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 97 B3500 Extended Heavy Towing

Hey guys,
This might be a stupid question. I'm out on a road trip in my 97 B3500, which just so happens to be a rather heavy class B RV - right under 9,000 pounds. I just found a vehicle I'd rather like to buy, and I'm wondering if I can tow it home. My GVWR is 13,500, the vehicle I'm looking at weighs right around 5,000. So even without a tow dolly or a trailer that puts me 500 pounds over the GVWR. Is this likely to be an issue? How far can I push it?
Van has 175k miles, new trans with less than 5k, new brake system at the same time (literally everything but the pedal), new radiator. 5.9 V8. It'd be approximately a 2,000 mile drive home.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:18 PM
Widebody
Rookie

Originally Posted by KiernanP
Hey guys,
This might be a stupid question. I'm out on a road trip in my 97 B3500, which just so happens to be a rather heavy class B RV - right under 9,000 pounds. I just found a vehicle I'd rather like to buy, and I'm wondering if I can tow it home. My GVWR is 13,500, the vehicle I'm looking at weighs right around 5,000. So even without a tow dolly or a trailer that puts me 500 pounds over the GVWR. Is this likely to be an issue? How far can I push it?
Van has 175k miles, new trans with less than 5k, new brake system at the same time (literally everything but the pedal), new radiator. 5.9 V8. It'd be approximately a 2,000 mile drive home.
Your GVWR is the total weight inside you can carry. Likely around 9000 pounds gvwr. You are looking for your GCWR (gross combined weight rating) which sounds like the 13,500? Your class B manufacturer will have max tow rating listed. You will be over likely as stated. That's a long drive to tow and I dont think your class B will be too happy. Hope you dont have to go over any passes. What RV do you have?

Old 07-29-2019, 08:25 PM
KiernanP

Yeah sorry I got my abbreviations mixed up, the GCWR is the 13,500. Its a Great West Van Classic Supreme.
It'd be from west WY to central NC so no truly terrible mountains to climb, but a long haul nonetheless.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:33 PM
Widebody
Rookie

Originally Posted by KiernanP
Yeah sorry I got my abbreviations mixed up, the GCWR is the 13,500. Its a Great West Van Classic Supreme.
It'd be from west WY to central NC so no truly terrible mountains to climb, but a long haul nonetheless.
Did you check your tow hitch rating as well? Mine is only rated at 4000 pounds. I personally wouldn't do it with my van as I know it would struggle. The short wheel base of the van will also make it a white knuckle drive. I'm sure the tail will be wagging the dog. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

If it would put you over your weight rating, don't do it. Those numbers are there for a reason. Exceeding them could be very bad for you..... If you have an accident, your insurance company can refuse to cover you. That means you get to pay for everything.......

Quick Reply: 97 B3500 Extended Heavy Towing