Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

smoke test b3500

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 11:35 AM
sunnyjonn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke test b3500

how to smoke test b3500 a/c vac lines and components

Old 08-07-2019, 08:26 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Use a smoke machine.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:33 AM
sunnyjonn
Default wise ***

ahhh, nothing like a wise *** to start my day

Old 08-08-2019, 11:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyjonn
It would probably be cheaper to take it to a shop that has a smoke machine, than it would to buy/build your own, and do the testing......

Old 08-09-2019, 08:32 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

You want to start? You asked a simple question and you got the answer to it. If there is something more specific you're looking for then say so.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:11 AM
sunnyjonn

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It would probably be cheaper to take it to a shop that has a smoke machine, than it would to buy/build your own, and do the testing......
NOT
i built a serious machine for under $40 using a pvc toilet flange, FPT x threaded adapter and a a clean out plug, plus my 5 gallon air storage tank and some 1/4" fittings and a couple of air pressure inline pressure regulators
if you know of a good shop that will do this testing for under $100, please post it's info.
i found 2 leaks in a matter of minutes and my air conditioning is working just great out of the dash instead of defrost..
and, i have the machine to use at any time, you can't compare with a good shop this convenience.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

NOT
i built a serious machine for under $40 using a pvc toilet flange, FPT x threaded adapter and a a clean out plug, plus my 5 gallon air storage tank and some 1/4" fittings and a couple of air pressure inline pressure regulators
if you know of a good shop that will do this testing for under $100, please post it's info.
i found 2 leaks in a matter of minutes and my air conditioning is working just great out of the dash instead of defrost..
and, i have the machine to use at any time, you can't compare with a good shop this convenience.
And you managed to do that in two days since posting this thread? So, what was the point of posting in the first place?

Old 08-10-2019, 10:03 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

i found 2 leaks in a matter of minutes and my air conditioning is working just great out of the dash instead of defrost.
Yet in your first post you ask how to do it?
I can see you're trouble. Congratulations, only 5 posts and you've received an infraction already.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:36 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

NOT
that's air but no smoke. What did you use to get that?

Old 08-10-2019, 11:33 AM
sunnyjonn
Default Smoke

a piece of 22 ga nichrome wire that gave me 2.5 ohms resistance
wrapped around a piece of Tiki" torch wick that i bent into a "U" shape to fit into the bottom of the toilet flange..
I drilled and tapped (2) 1/4" holes high on the assy and installed a 1/4" barbed fitting in one hole and a quick connect male fitting in the other.
Also drilled (2) 1/8" holes (depends on your screw dia) and wrapped the ends of the nichrome wire around those screws, some sealant with the screws and attached the wires from small alligator clips to each screw. and the alligator clips to the truck battery, (i put an on-off switch on the plus side)
​​​​​​​Put some mineral oil in the flange the wick, soaked the bent wick, with nichrome wire wrapped around it with the oil also.
Screwed the top on tight.
put a length of tygon to the barbed fitting with a tapered fitting on the end of that tube.
Tee off of the air tank,iinstall inline air regulator,regulate air output to 2-3 psi
And toggle on-off cycles with the switch
because that baby can get f******g hot, ha.
it works very well

Quick Reply: smoke test b3500