Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Hard to start when cold 5.9??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019 | 03:16 AM
vanningnomad
|
Default Hard to start when cold 5.9??

Greetings,I have a 96 Dodge b3500 maxi wagon with the 5.9 ever since I purchased my van the only way to start the van is to turn key over just enough to let pump run for about a minute or so then it will finally start I have just replaced new pump with new pressure regulator and new battery and new asd relay new plugs and cap and rotor button as well with new crankshaft position sensor along with new pickup sensor on the distributor and a new oil sending switch now that it's cold out side it takes about 5-15 minutes of pump running before it will finally start but even on warms days this van will only start if when you turn key over not enough to start it but to let everything come one and the check engine light will come on along with a clicking sound coming from the dash area and sometimes it will click like 5 or ten times all at once when it finally does click but once it does click with the check engine light the pump will finally shut off after it has primed and key has turned over then will finally start right up and run great but if you let it sit for hours the whole process of waiting for it to click will start over so any info will greatly help!! Thanks in advance!!

Old 12-02-2019 | 09:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pump should only run for about 3 seconds when you first turn the key on. If it continues to run, there is another problem in there somewhere.

The following users liked this post:
vanningnomad (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019 | 12:04 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator

Sound more like a failing ECM.

vanningnomad (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019 | 05:31 PM
vanningnomad
|

Never thought about the ecm I checked eBay and they have a few that have been pulled from running wrecked vans just not sure it it would be smart to go that route or get a refurbished one for around $200 I'd like the just go the eBay route to cut cost

Old 12-03-2019 | 12:02 PM
alloro

If you want to verify the ECM as the issue you'll need to warm it up. What I mean by that is for the first cold start of the day, warm the ECM up pretty good with a hairdryer then see if the engine starts easier and faster. If it does then the issue is definitely with the ECM.

vanningnomad (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019 | 03:11 PM
vanningnomad
|

Originally Posted by alloro
If you want to verify the ECM as the issue you'll need to warm it up. What I mean by that is for the first cold start of the day, warm the ECM up pretty good with a hairdryer then see if the engine starts easier and faster. If it does then the issue is definitely with the ECM.
That's a great idea I will definitely try that thanks will update the results 👍

Old 12-06-2019 | 04:25 PM
vanningnomad
|

Originally Posted by alloro
Well the blow dryer test worked I waited till it was a cold morning today and tried to start the van nothing so I took ecm off and heated it up with a blow dryer and put it back on and it started up so now the issue is trying to locate the right ecm mine is a p56040889 just curious if I'm able to use other ecms on the same year long as the p56040 number matches can't find any the have the 889 at the end also curious if I have to have it programmed and Vin matched I've read that the 96 ecms don't have to then I read where some say you do have too so I'm at a crossroads now any info would greatly help!

Old 12-07-2019 | 08:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

96 doesn't care about VIN mismatch. That's 98 and newer.

Basically, you just need a PCM (96 or 97 model year) for the correct engine/trans combo.

Old 12-07-2019 | 11:33 AM
alloro

Originally Posted by vanningnomad
trying to locate the right ecm mine is a p56040889
Refurbished with a warranty.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Comp...M/362295915726

Old 12-07-2019 | 11:35 AM
alloro

Originally Posted by vanningnomad
Well the blow dryer test worked I waited till it was a cold morning today and tried to start the van nothing so I took ecm off and heated it up with a blow dryer and put it back on and it started up
By removing it you've introduced the connectors as possibly causing the issue due to a bad contact on one or more pins. I should've specified to take the dryer outside with an extension cord and heat it up in the van. But in either case you've narrowed it down to the ECM or the connectors.

Quick Reply: Hard to start when cold 5.9??