Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1984 B150 Ram Van compression and leak down test

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 09:03 PM
sparkyj
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys, seems like every step I have to ask a question. I'm reinstalling the crank bolt on the damper and trying to torque it down. How do we keep the engine from rotating? I can get it on there with an impact gun but need to hand torque. Thought I would put in gear but that doesnt do it :-/

What's the trick?

Old 04-02-2020, 09:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

If you have access to the flywheel/flexplate, use a prybar on the starter ring gear to prevent the engine from turning. Having a second warm body sure doesn't hurt here..... Or, just buzz it in with the impact, to some close approximation of the 'correct' torque, and call it a day. Don't reef on it too hard though, you really don't wanna break the bolt. That just sucks.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:44 PM
sparkyj
Rookie

Thanks HeyYou, I remembered i had an expandable clutch holder for my vintage bikes. Duh. Put a pipe on it and expanded it to fit the holes in the damper, put the handle (with pipe) to the ground. Presto. To be honest, I hit it with my air ratchet with a 130 torque extension. I think that got it. maybe a little too tight so you are right about the suck part. I couldn't put enough muscle on it to replicate the "pip" of the 135 lb setting on my torque wrench. I think it is there but.......I hope I never have to take this thing off ever again.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

For what it's worth, I think I may have used a torque wrench on that bolt twice in my lifetime...... If I had the engine on a stand, probably more often.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:51 PM
sparkyj
Rookie

OK, Assembling coming along. Figured out the bracket nightmare with a bunch of pics from the internet and MY photos (more photos next time!!)
Back to mounting the exhaust. These headers as you recall did not have gaskets. If I use the FelPro gaskets from the set, I assume you just put them on dry, no? (@ about 35lbs torque?). Are there any considerations with Thread Sealants for the header bolts? I've got 45 tubes of sealant including Preperation H and I probably don't have the right sealant! I left the guide pins in the head when I took to the head shop. Hopefully, those are sound. I've read those pins lead into the water jacket and can leak?

Old 04-03-2020, 09:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think some of the exhaust bolts may go into the water jackets as well. I think a bit of RTV, or maybe lok-tite blue wouldn't be a bad idea.

Gaskets go on dry for the exhaust.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:39 AM
sparkyj
Rookie

Hey You, thank you. I got both! I'll probably use the lock tight. BTW, I'm trying to replace the sensors on the top of the engine, Oil pressure sending unit, Coolant temp sensor. I can't figure out what this 2 prong fat base sensor is that sits on the top of the intake. Looks like some sort of temp sensor or oxygen sensor. Any idea what it does? Ill try and post a pic.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, post a pic, lets see what ya got.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:40 AM
sparkyj
Rookie

2 pin Intake Manifold Sensor. What is it?

Old 04-04-2020, 06:12 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

air temperature sensor.

Quick Reply: 1984 B150 Ram Van compression and leak down test