Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Dodge Ram Van Ignition Toggle

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 09:57 PM
Victoria Tesla Nikola Coatsworth's Avatar
Victoria Tesla Nikola Coatsworth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram Van Ignition Toggle

Hello, so I’m an idiot, and I had to have my ignition cylinder removed because I lost the keys. It’s a 1992 b series Dodge Ram van. It’s worn down now so I can hardly turn the key so I’m gonna have my friend install a toggle switch for me. Is there anything in particular I should be aware of for this project/can I use any toggle switch or does it have to be a specific kind?

Old 01-09-2021, 08:15 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

I think fixing the original problem would be easier! A new lock assembly and ignition switch should do it.

The following users liked this post:
nati222 (01-15-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
I think fixing the original problem would be easier! A new lock assembly and ignition switch should do it.
Gotta agree with this....... A toggle switch will be problematic at best anyway, as there are several circuits that go thru the ignition switch, some are only hot in start, others only hot in run, and still others that are hot in both positions...... New lock cylinder and switch is most certainly the best way to deal with it.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:42 AM
Victoria Tesla Nikola Coatsworth's Avatar
Victoria Tesla Nikola Coatsworth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
so, the other guy was at least vaguely informative. I don’t quite understand why a toggle switch wouldn’t work? That’s my intention, unless...?
If anybody wants to ANSWER my question, that’d be great

Old 01-10-2021, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Victoria Tesla Nikola Coatsworth
so, the other guy was at least vaguely informative. I don’t quite understand why a toggle switch wouldn’t work? That’s my intention, unless...?
If anybody wants to ANSWER my question, that’d be great
Read my post. The ignition switch is a LOT more than just simple toggle switch. What you propose simply won't work properly, and will introduce many issues itself. Fix it once, fix it right, and be done with it.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:02 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

You have about eight wires going to the switch, You need to find out what goes to where and when it gets power. Not to mention you need a three position momentary switch to crank the motor. Not saying it can't done just more of a problem than fixing the root cause. Not to mention anyone can get in and start it/drive away.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:03 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Victoria Tesla Nikola Coatsworth
Hello, so I’m an idiot, and I had to have my ignition cylinder removed because I lost the keys. It’s a 1992 b series Dodge Ram van. It’s worn down now so I can hardly turn the key so I’m gonna have my friend install a toggle switch for me. Is there anything in particular I should be aware of for this project/can I use any toggle switch or does it have to be a specific kind?
What will the toggle switch be used for, to power the accessory circuit, the ignition 1 circuit, the ignition 2 circuit, or operate the starter?

Old 01-11-2021, 01:13 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

You'd have to have several toggle switches and know what wire does what. If it was a '72, not a '92, it would be fairly easier to fix the lock cylinder rather than wire a BUNCH of toggles. Then you'd have the issue of remembering which switch did what. Your dash would look like an aircraft panel. If you do go that route, use some high amp switches to prevent fires.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram Van Ignition Toggle