Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Calibrating Idle Speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 08:52 PM
Avishai Benyamini
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calibrating Idle Speed

Hi,

I have a 2002 dodge ram van 1500 5.2L V8. I had idle RPM not stable and I replaced the idle valve. The idle RPM now is quite high and I am trying to figure out how to reduce it. I have the haynes manual and can't figure it out for now. I am adding pictures below.

A few questions:
* The idle valve doesn't seem to be as extended out as the old one (left new, right old in picture). Is it possible that I got the wrong part?
* Can anyone point where is the idle speed adjustment? I only found a single screw that adjusts the fast idle speed as I understand.

Any help appreciated.

Best,
Avishai

New one on the left

Old 01-30-2021, 09:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Its the correct part, sorta.... These engines really HATE third party parts in critical locations, and the IAC is one of those parts. You want a genuine mopar IAC. Thing is, unstable idle is almost always caused by something else. Vacuum leak, missing on one or more cylinders, etc. Chances are, your original part is still good.

So, put the old one back in, (and clean the port that is goes in as well.) disconnect the battery, turn on the headlights, turn off the headlights, reconnect the battery, turn the ignition to 'on', not start, count to ten, and don't touch anything. THEN start the engine. PCM should figure out idle fairly quickly.

Quick Reply: Calibrating Idle Speed