Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

5.9L Fueling Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 02:46 PM
Jwilliams41
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9L Fueling Question

I have a couple of questions:

I've noticed at WOT these fuel systems go into open loop which means it doesn't rely on the o2 sensor for fueling. Then which sensor(s) is it relying on for fueling? MAP, Throttle position?

My throttle position is only showing 72% open at WOT on my scan tool. Is this normal? I know its usually never 100% on any vehicle but its usually in the 90s at least. I tried a new sensor with the same outcome.

Doing the intake plenum gasket, which kit is the best?

Old 04-26-2021, 06:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

In Open Loop, the computer runs off of tables that are programmed into it. They tend to be a bit rich in open loop, but, that's kinda what you want anyway.

Take a look down the throttle body, stomp the pedal to the floor, do the throttle blades actually open all the way? (engine NOT running. )

In all reality, you don't need a kit. Granted, they are good 'insurance'.... but, the real problem is, cheap gaskets, and bolts that are too long. Using a GOOD quality gasket, and shorter bolts, or even just using washers on the existing bolts, will solve that problem.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:56 PM
Jwilliams41

Thanks for the reply! I did figure the pre programmed fuel maps question out online. I did check the throttle opening when messing with it (just forgot to mention) and it does appear to open all the way. I even tried to manually open it some more and couldn't, so I'm just assuming that's what the ECM reads a WOT. I've always had luck with Fel-Pro so I will go that route. I just know someone mentioned a kit with a thicker plate. I'm assuming that just helps close that gap you were speaking of with the too long of bolts and using washers.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jwilliams41
Thanks for the reply! I did figure the pre programmed fuel maps question out online. I did check the throttle opening when messing with it (just forgot to mention) and it does appear to open all the way. I even tried to manually open it some more and couldn't, so I'm just assuming that's what the ECM reads a WOT. I've always had luck with Fel-Pro so I will go that route. I just know someone mentioned a kit with a thicker plate. I'm assuming that just helps close that gap you were speaking of with the too long of bolts and using washers.
Exactly.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:13 PM
Jwilliams41

Which gasket is the bad one on these intakes? The upper or the lower?

Old 04-29-2021, 08:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jwilliams41
Which gasket is the bad one on these intakes? The upper or the lower?
Gasket between the main body of the intake, and the steel plate on the bottom, that seals off the plenum area. You can look down your throttle body, and see if there is any oil pooling in there.

Quick Reply: 5.9L Fueling Question