Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1978 Sportsman dual axle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 10:16 AM
1990B150318
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Nothing special about a 2BBL I imagine it was a dog with any weight in it. I would put aluminum Edlebrock intake on it with a 4BBL Holley. And a glass see threw filter up by the motor to catch any debris.
All right, good to know there are options.

Yeah I bet it was a dog... 360 with 2 bbl and the thing is fully loaded with tools. I mean, floor to ceiling with tools, plus pulling the 4x8 utility full of ladders and crowbars hah!

Gonna have a huge garage sale.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990B150318
All right, good to know there are options.

Yeah I bet it was a dog... 360 with 2 bbl and the thing is fully loaded with tools. I mean, floor to ceiling with tools, plus pulling the 4x8 utility full of ladders and crowbars hah!

Gonna have a huge garage sale.
Where are you at? That's a garage sale I would like to visit.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:01 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990B150318
I know that the truck was running six years ago and apparently in good shape. It seemed winterized well - battery removed and other preparations. Not sure about the status of fuel in the tank, but I think it's empty.
Good point on fuel tank suggestion - I'd hate a basically irreplaceable carburetor to get jacked up. Will have to think about how to approach that. First thing I'll be getting the utility trailer working. Thought I'd post on that but it's not a Dodge so...

Just take the tank side fuel line off the fuel pump. Run a hose into a gas can and shoot a little starting fluid into the carburetor. It will usually start and run off the can then. Now, do NOT prime the engine with gasoline. If you get a back fire, it can blow burning fuel up and into your face. I have a good friend that happened to years ago. Ever since I've known him, I use starting fluid. It can flash and take your eye brows off giving you a surprised look until they grow back, but it won't melt your face.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:27 AM
1990B150318
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Where are you at? That's a garage sale I would like to visit.
I'm in Oregon - unfortunately it seems most of the tools are masonry and carpentry tools, some power tools like angle grinders, sanders, a router, a table saw, all a bit old but in good shape... but almost nothing for working on cars Still going through it and looking for flare nut wrenches haha!

I did find an old Craftsman socket set with 3/8 and 1/2 drives, filled with 12 point deep sockets SAE and metric both. Keeping that!

Originally Posted by ol'grouch
Just take the tank side fuel line off the fuel pump. Run a hose into a gas can and shoot a little starting fluid into the carburetor. It will usually start and run off the can then.

Thanks for that advice - I will do that and take pictures of the process when I go to start it up. There happens to be a couple of cans of starting fluid in the truck, along with 2x 6 gallon gas cans. Lucky me.

Quick Reply: 1978 Sportsman dual axle?