Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

WTH is this!?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 02:47 PM
RubyVanner
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default WTH is this!?!!?

Ok, I have a 99 Ram Van 1500 5.9L that recently had some random stalling issues. Last time it stalled in the dark, but I was able to see the coolant reservoir was very low so I refilled it and drove it home. I look in the reservoir today in daylight and see this floating on top:

That clearly should not be there.
I tried to pull it out, but it is bigger than the filling hole.
So what now? I have no words and have no idea what to do.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

OK, that's bizarre. You win the internet for the day.

No clue what that is, but, I would suspect it is some interior part of the reservoir.... Granted, I have never seen anything like that before.... Maybe just replace the reservoir?

Old 11-19-2021, 10:30 AM
RubyVanner
Rookie

Well if I can't get it out, I guess I have to. What sucks is I just filled it so I will have to fully drain it first. I watched a video on the process on a different vehicle, and they said sometimes the OEM reservoir tanks that are all plastic will break near the lower connection, so maybe that's what it is. Some non-OEM replacements now are reinforced with metal and those connection points. But 1999, it is discontinued and I found a new in package OEM on ebay so I am gonna go with that so I know it will fit properly.

I don't generally drain any car fluids any more because proper disposal/recycling is such a PITA, and often it isn't much more to pay a shop to do it. But as expected, since the part is discontinued and I had to ebay, the shops here usually won't use my parts so I gotta suck it up and do it.

For those that look at this later for reference, here is the procedure for the 99 van (snd likely same for 98-03) for draining and refilling coolant, how to remove and install the reservoir, and a picture of the hose clamp tool you will need. Watch a YouTube video to learn the safest way to do it, but try to find one with and older model vehicle that still has a drain plug.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it's just the overflow reservoir, no need to drain the cooling system. Just siphon the fluid out of the part you are replacing, and swap it out.

Pulling those plugs down on the side of the block is a major pain. They have been in there since new, and have essentially become one with the block. A significant percentage of the time, even pulling them out won't drain the block, as all the sediment that collects, and solidifies.... at the bottom there, plugs the hole from the inside.

Old 11-19-2021, 02:17 PM
RubyVanner
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it's just the overflow reservoir, no need to drain the cooling system. Just siphon the fluid out of the part you are replacing, and swap it out.

Pulling those plugs down on the side of the block is a major pain. They have been in there since new, and have essentially become one with the block. A significant percentage of the time, even pulling them out won't drain the block, as all the sediment that collects, and solidifies.... at the bottom there, plugs the hole from the inside.
Thank you, that is way easier. I just ordered a $10 siphon and a $10 pipe clamp tool so I can just put the coolant back in the bottle I just used to fill it, and refill it with the same coolant after I replace the reservoir. Here's hoping I can do this without breaking something else lol!

Old 11-19-2021, 02:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by RubyVanner
Thank you, that is way easier. I just ordered a $10 siphon and a $10 pipe clamp tool so I can just put the coolant back in the bottle I just used to fill it, and refill it with the same coolant after I replace the reservoir. Here's hoping I can do this without breaking something else lol!
Wait, what??? You mean I am not SUPPOSED to break something else while I am fixing something?

That might explain a lot.....

Old 11-30-2021, 03:45 PM
RubyVanner
Rookie
Default Update

Well, I finally got to change out the coolant reservoir today. Three things of note:
1) While the procedure was straightforward, it was a pain in the a$$ because it says to remove the washer fluid reservoir first to access the mounting screws, which is a complicated procedure. I managed to just take out the top two screws of the washer fluid reservoir and scoot it over enough to make it work.

2) The screws on the coolant reservoir are not easily accessible by a typical ratchet. I didn't have a ratcheting screwdriver that fit the 3/8 socket I had, so I had to get creative with a large flat screwdriver and some duct tape because I needed to get this done asap. So make sure you have one available before you start.

3) My coolant reservoir itself was actually fine and not broken. So I have no idea what that thing was in there, and it was absolutely inserted intentionally because it would have barely fit the opening and had to be pushed in. So I don't know if it was a McGuyver fix gone awry or an act of vandalism but this particular issue should not be a common thing.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:33 PM
ElkCon
Veteran
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The more I look at it, that piece in the tank seems to be a stop leak bottle...maybe the plastic was so old when whoever used it it cracked off when inserted.

Glad it is fixed.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:58 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ElkCon
The more I look at it, that piece in the tank seems to be a stop leak bottle...maybe the plastic was so old when whoever used it it cracked off when inserted.
The bottle says "stop leak" on it, not the "contents stop leak." I guess some idiot though he had to shove the bottle into the leak.

Quick Reply: WTH is this!?!!?