Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Transmission oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 02:15 PM
/Nate/
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission oil leak

Hi all, new to the forum but not new to my 1995 b3500. This is my second of the same model and year so I am fairly familiar with things. Recently I sprung a tranny leak that is so bad that I have a thick film of tranny fluid on the back van windows after going on the highway!

I might have a leak coming from the bell housing so I'm assuming a front tranny seal there
I also plan on changing out the lines and pan gasket

What Im having trouble finding is a part on the drivers side of transmission, I think it may be leaking where its attached to the transmission. I also think its dripping on the exhaust and eliminating my ability to find a puddle. This is reinforced by the awful burning tranny oil smell every time I park. Photo of the part should be attached.

Can anybody provide insight on what the part is, where to buy tranny lines, or common tranny leaks at 120xxx mile?

EDIT: 5.2 L, 46rh

Thank you

Nate

Last edited by /Nate/; 05-23-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

That's the starter motor.

You likely won't find pre-bent trans lines.... some aftermarket shops might offer them, but, a quick search doesn't turn up anything......

Are you sure it is trans fluid?? Fluid generally won't move forward from where it is leaking from.....

Old 05-23-2022, 07:58 PM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My thoughts too. Looks like motor oil from rear seal but I'm just guessing. Why change the transmission lines? Clean them up and make sure they aren't rubbing through somewhere.

Quick Reply: Transmission oil leak