Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Help conversion ac keeps losing freon

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 08:55 PM
Dixieland85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help conversion ac keeps losing freon

Try to figure out why my conversation van keeps losing the air conditioner freon. We have put the dyed in it and can not find any leaks. If help would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-25-2022, 05:55 AM
Busted Nuckles
Professional
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Try soap and water on connections when running. Leak could be in the evaporator under dash. Another possible leak could be the front compressor seal behind the clutch.
Rear AC?

Old 07-25-2022, 09:43 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixieland85
Try to figure out why my conversation van keeps losing the air conditioner freon. We have put the dyed in it and can not find any leaks. If help would be greatly appreciated

If you have rear a/c, check the lines to the rear. I had an Escalade that was doing that and the line along the bottom of the car had weathered an was leaking almost as fast as I could put it in. There are block off kits to use just the front a/c if that's the case.

Old 07-25-2022, 03:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

The leak may be somewhere you can't see it... Evaporator core is one place... if you have rear a/c, there is one back there too. When R12 was common, we had a sniffer for it. Just wave the wand around by the lines, or stuff it into the vents, and it would find leaks. Don't know if there is one for R134a though....

Old 07-25-2022, 05:53 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

What year is the conversion van? A newer van probably has a pin hole from a small stone. An older one may have bad seals. I believe there are sniffers out there, but not everybody has them.

Quick Reply: Help conversion ac keeps losing freon