Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Anyone ever heard this suspension noise before?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 11:14 PM
1991ramwagonextended
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever heard this suspension noise before?

So ive been chasing this damn noise for a year and a half. Noone seems able to find it and it is getting worse. Seems to be when the van articulate/flexes , especially when one wheel raises up while the other doesnt. Odd thing is, it used to sound like a front end noise. So i basically replaced all the suspension upfront. Now it seems to be coming from all 4 corners of the van , especially in the back. I'd be soooo. grateful to get rid of this sound.

VIDEO of rear leaf spring/shock

ill post other videos from the front and the driveshaft in case someone sees something

Old 11-28-2022, 05:45 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991ramwagonextended
So ive been chasing this damn noise for a year and a half. Noone seems able to find it and it is getting worse. Seems to be when the van articulate/flexes , especially when one wheel raises up while the other doesnt. Odd thing is, it used to sound like a front end noise. So i basically replaced all the suspension upfront. Now it seems to be coming from all 4 corners of the van , especially in the back. I'd be soooo. grateful to get rid of this sound.

VIDEO of rear leaf spring/shock

ill post other videos from the front and the driveshaft in case someone sees something

Describe the noise. I think I hear a popping from the drive shaft. Have you checked the u-joints yet? On a shaft, a slight noise can be amplified by the tube itself. I hear other noises but with my hearing, not being there hampers figuring it out.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:14 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

front shock mount loose?

Old 11-28-2022, 12:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Shock bolts get torqued to some truly stupid value. Sounds like they just aren't quite tight enough.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:44 PM
1991ramwagonextended
Amateur

How do I go about checking the shock mounts? I can torque the bolts more but is there risk in over torquing them?
I did replace the u joints, admittedly not knowing what I was doing, but I think I got it right on the second attempt.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Shock mounts are either welded (on the axle) or riveted (on the frame) Should just be able to crawl under there, shake the van a bit, see if they move. (they shouldn't....)

Uppers are like 40 ft./lbs. Lowers are something like 100 ft/lbs..... I don't think it is possible to over-tighten the lower bolts.... just don't break 'em.

Old 12-01-2022, 03:49 AM
1991ramwagonextended
Amateur

Snow has prevented me from getting to this. But I happened to recall, when replacing my tie rod ends, the adjustment sleeve I got from moog was different than the one I took off ( it was straight rather than thicker in the middle). Are these for the 4000lbs axle? Do I have the 4000 lbs axle? I remember thinking that the replacements seemed skinnier and less heavy duty than the oem.

Off topic but can anyone clarify for me the concept of greasing your slip yoke? Is this only for 2 piece driveshafts or 4x4? As I understood, the rwd one piece slides directly into the trans and is lubricated by trans fluid, right? I accidentally once greased mine for a few drives and it felt so much nicer (no more of that slip bump thibg when braking) but I washed it out after thinking this would hurt the trans.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

One piece shaft doesn't require lubrication, (are there grease fittings on the u-joints? if so, those DO require a couple pumps every now and again.) though, having some grease on the splines won't hurt anything.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:32 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991ramwagonextended
Snow has prevented me from getting to this. But I happened to recall, when replacing my tie rod ends, the adjustment sleeve I got from moog was different than the one I took off ( it was straight rather than thicker in the middle). Are these for the 4000lbs axle? Do I have the 4000 lbs axle? I remember thinking that the replacements seemed skinnier and less heavy duty than the oem.

Off topic but can anyone clarify for me the concept of greasing your slip yoke? Is this only for 2 piece driveshafts or 4x4? As I understood, the rwd one piece slides directly into the trans and is lubricated by trans fluid, right? I accidentally once greased mine for a few drives and it felt so much nicer (no more of that slip bump thibg when braking) but I washed it out after thinking this would hurt the trans.

The grease is mostly caught at the seal. It won't hurt anything. On the front end parts, factory parts are often pressed and folded steel. Aftermarket is often machined from a solid piece. If factory is good, aftermarket, at least in this case, is better. I think, well, hope, Moog is still good quality and not Chinesium.

Old 12-03-2022, 11:38 PM
1991ramwagonextended
Amateur

this looks like the oem one i pulled off

this looks like the one i replaced it with

Quick Reply: Anyone ever heard this suspension noise before?