Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Check Engine Light - Code 22

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 06:02 AM
Markin
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check Engine Light - Code 22

Hi guys. So I bought my 1995 Dodge Ram Van Winnebago Conversion a few months ago, and due to work and other stuff have not been able to really use it yet. Anyway, I have at least been starting it fairly regularly but to be honest it has been starting like a dog. Loads of cranking required to get it started then rough running for the first maybe 30 minutes. When I bought it there was a Check Engine Light on the dash and the previous owner said he didnīt know what it was. I used the 3 key turn method to get the following codes:-

12 - Start of Code reading
22 - Coolant Temperature sensor
55 - End of codes

I am in Spain so parts arenīt that easy to come by. But I found the sensor on Rockauto and have literally just managed to change today (that thing is a bit difficult access). It took a bit to start after changing the sensor as I had not started it in two weeks (and it is sleeping outside at the moment), but it soon fired up. I took it for a spin, then left it and came back 20 minutes later and it started first time with minimal cranking. So I am assuming (to be confirmed over the coming days) that the new sensor seems to have fixed the starting issue. The problem is the check engine light is still on. I looked on the internet and found a page that advised to disconnect the negative battery connection, turn the key to the on position for 10 seconds, then to off, reconnect battery and turn the key to on. The check engine light disappered but whilst driving came back on, and using the 3 key turn method is still showing the same codes. Does this mean the part I got is faulty? Badly installed? Does it need a certain number of starts for the ECU to learn the new sensor or something like that? Any way to get the bloody light to switch off and stay off?

Old 12-31-2022, 10:35 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

You have two(2) temp sensors, Witch one did you replace? You need to replace the one the PCM is reading for engine temp. The other one is for the gauge.

Old 12-31-2022, 11:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,263 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Moparite is correct. You want to replace the two-wire sensor.

Old 12-31-2022, 12:03 PM
Markin
Amateur

Hello. I replaced the one that is right behind the alternator in the engine block. Where is the other one located? Part number? Thanks guys

Old 12-31-2022, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Next to the thermostat housing.

Old 12-31-2022, 12:09 PM
Markin
Amateur

Would you possibly have a photo of where it is?

Old 12-31-2022, 12:13 PM
Markin
Amateur

Sorry, I donīt have a manual yet

Old 12-31-2022, 12:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

No pic.... but, its just to the drivers side of the thermostat housing. If you have a/c, yeah, it's fun to find.

Old 12-31-2022, 12:39 PM
Markin
Amateur

Great, thanks.....I have AC

Old 01-01-2023, 05:12 AM
Markin
Amateur

So, here are some photos as I am having real problems trying to locate the two blade ECT sensor. The first photo is the sensor that I have already changed with one blade. My question is, are the next photos of the two blade sensor? If so, then due to limited experience and tools, looks like I will have to take it to the shop to get it done

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - Code 22