Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2001 5.2 L 46RE trans swap, new style NSS to old style NSS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 07:52 PM
ThreeVanNight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 5.2 L 46RE trans swap, new style NSS to old style NSS

Hello all,

I have a 2001 dodge ram van 5.2 L 8 cylinder, ≈220,000 miles, and I was attempting to R&R the transmission, definitely the biggest repair I've attempted so be patient with me lol. First I'll give my question then I'll put why I'm replacing the transmission so I can try and gauge whether fixing it may be an option at this point.

The van takes a 46RE transmission and I happened to find a cheap good one nearby for sale. Turns out (as I didn't notice until I had already dropped mine, lifted the new one, and got half way through installing it) they use different NSS switches, my original transmission uses the new style 5 pin and the new transmission uses an old style 3 pin.

I see in this thread:https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/338717-46re-old-style-nss-trans-convert-to-trs-switch-2.html that they sell and adapter but it only goes the other way ( 5 pin on tranny to 3 pin harness cable not 3 pin on tranny to 5 pin harness) and even that requires replacing the valve body. As I've never worked on anything inside a transmission and I really need this done relatively soon, I would dearly like to avoid opening it unless it would actually solve the problem and it doesn't sound like it will.

So my question is, am I SOL here? Has anyone successfully backwards converted?

I also see someone attempting it here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/416857-46re-nss-nightmare.html but I don't know if it worked and it sounds like it comes with many issues anyway (I'm fine with not knowing what gear I'm in but not having brake lights is certainly not going to work and the car starting in gear will cause damage pretty quickly)

As for why I'm replacing the transmission, the car has been giving a code to replace the CPS for a long time (previous owner had already replaced it once as I found out later), I replaced it and it still had issues, I thought it was a problem with the install, like I didn't get the computer to reset or something so I redid it, start up issues continued and then it started getting stuck in 2nd gear occasionally (it's an automatic but you can tell), I would stop, put it in park then take it out and it worked but obviously it needed fixed, on my way to get a read out it stopped working at all and would not come out of 2nd gear so I just took it to a shop. They said they would have to replace some sensors to find out but then would probably wind up having to fix the transmission, I did not have the money, the car is high mileage and has already had the engine and radiator replaced so I figured if it'll fix the issue I'll just replace the transmission with a working one myself and actually figure out what's wrong with the old one later.

Now I'm supposed to leave to drive across the country in about a week and a half and I have two broken down vans. Should I just accept the sunk cost and try and find a new tranny w/ the right connection (inevitably for more money), try and fix my original one? Try to make the 5 pin NSS I have go into the one currently sporting a 3 pin? Not sure what would be the fastest.

My apologies for the long post any advice is appreciated.

Old 07-13-2023, 02:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I would try and find the correct year trans.... adapting it is going to come with compromises.... and that can make future repairs much more difficult.

Old 07-13-2023, 05:13 PM
ThreeVanNight

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I would try and find the correct year trans.... adapting it is going to come with compromises.... and that can make future repairs much more difficult.
Hey thanks for responding (also I swear you are in every thread I've ever read on here I commend your many years of diligence haha). Yeah it was looking that way thanks for confirming it, sucks but better than trying something stupid and regretting it. I can't find one in the area and buying one for shipping is way out of my price range.

I'm gonna try and fix my cars original issues I guess: replace governor solenoid and transducer, adjust the throttle valve linkage, adjust the front band (maybe back too to be safe), and probably the starter motor since I've had the start up issues for awhile and they are apparently likely not linked to the transmission issues.

If that doesn't work I can move on to having absolutely no idea how to fix servo/clutch issues in an automatic, burn the car, and crawl back under my manual! Lmao just kidding just kidding.

I'm going to try taking the solenoid parts and maybe the 3-4 accumulator spring of out the 1999 transmission. They should be compatible and if this transmission is actually good it will save me waiting to get parts delivered and save some money. Feels wrong but idk why lol.

​​​​​​​

Old 07-13-2023, 08:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Several folks here have rebuilt their own transmissions, having never been in one before. It's doable, just a couple tricky spots. (the 800 inch pound spring being the main one.)

You can always see the 'wrong' trans, get some of your money back....

Keep in mind, the electronics changed from 99-00... governor pressure sensor reads different, and the harness is different as well. Don't know if the TCC and O/D solenoids are interchangeable...

Old 07-14-2023, 04:03 AM
ThreeVanNight

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Several folks here have rebuilt their own transmissions, having never been in one before. It's doable, just a couple tricky spots. (the 800 inch pound spring being the main one.)

You can always see the 'wrong' trans, get some of your money back....

Keep in mind, the electronics changed from 99-00... governor pressure sensor reads different, and the harness is different as well. Don't know if the TCC and O/D solenoids are interchangeable...

Ah, okay duh if the NSS and wiring is different of course the electronics are different in general I'll just buy new governor solenoid and transducer and take the 3-4 accumulator spring out since I can't find a replacement that will arrive in time. Thank you! Saved me a big obvious blunder, that probably would have been a nightmare

Quick Reply: 2001 5.2 L 46RE trans swap, new style NSS to old style NSS