Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Gravel type noise when using air con

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 03:36 AM
Markin
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gravel type noise when using air con

Hey guys,

So I just got back from my first long trip with my 1994 Dodge Ram Van. All went well really. Nice and comfortable and roomy for my son and I. I have to admit, the air con was so so for the entire trip. It doesnīt blow that well, but hey, itīs old I though. Then it started playing up. The first thing that happened was that if it was left on for a long time it stopped blowing. So I had to press the off button, turn the fan controller to off, then turn them back on again to get it working. it would work for a while then shut of again. Ao anyway, for the journey back home yesterday, we left early so no need for air con straight away. But about 350Km from home we stopped to relieve ourselves and my son asked for the air con as it was getting warm on the back seat. So I switched in on then started moving, and there was this sound, similiar to when you are on a gravel drive and the tiny stones are hitting the underside of the car, but with a more metallic sound. It seemed odd as I didnīt see gravel on the road surface. So I stopped and the noise continued even whilst stopped. I drove a further 20m and the noise got stronger. So I stopped and looked underneath to see if it was something falling off the underside, but nothing. So I opened the hood and the noise was clearly from the engine bay. The belts I could see looked a bit floppy. So anyway, I switched off the aircon and after a further 50m the noise stopped. Anyone had anything similar to this? My thinking is that the air con accessory belt was breaking up or something like that. Is this van belt drive or chain driven?

I will have to take it back to the mechanic this week to get it looked at. Impossible to be in Spain without air con. I will get them to check and replace all belts just to be on the safe side.

Old 07-09-2023, 09:41 AM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You have a belt that drives everything, but I doubt that is the source of the noise. I am thinking the clutch on the compressor is going south.

Old 07-09-2023, 12:06 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffersonracing
You have a belt that drives everything, but I doubt that is the source of the noise. I am thinking the clutch on the compressor is going south.

Old 07-09-2023, 01:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffersonracing
If it only crunches and grinds while the clutch is engaged, that's a failing compressor.

Old 07-09-2023, 03:38 PM
Markin
Amateur

It is almost like a tinkling sound of bits being thrown again the engine and radiator, not grinding or crunching.

Old 07-09-2023, 04:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Markin
It is almost like a tinkling sound of bits being thrown again the engine and radiator, not grinding or crunching.
Does it only make the noise when the compressor is engaged?

Old 07-09-2023, 05:29 PM
Markin
Amateur

Yes, only when I switch it on

Old 07-10-2023, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sounds like the compressor is failing.

Old 07-10-2023, 09:44 AM
Markin
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
OK, thanks for the guidance. I will take it to the shop this week so they can check it over, but looks like another order I will be placing to Rockauto

Old 07-11-2023, 12:18 PM
Markin
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So the mechanic canīt take the van in until next week which is a bummer, but it is what it is. Anyway, in the meantime I jut went to the van and took some photos, and I am leaning towards the tinkling noise of things hitting other parts of the engine, being bits of the belt. here are some photos of the belt and it looks like it is starting to disintegrate

Quick Reply: Gravel type noise when using air con