Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1999 Dodge Ram Van 2500B 5.9L V8 Gas Stalls on Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 06:25 PM
Zukatex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Ram Van 2500B 5.9L V8 Gas Stalls on Idle

This fun adventure all started when I got a cylinder 4 misfire, I've had these in the past so I cleared it and hoped that was the end of it. Later I started getting no power underload but the idle was fine so I took it to an auto shop, the catalytic converter was stuffed and the idle was no way worse and wouldn't even turn on. so I took it to an exhaust shop and they removed the cat and it accelerates fine now but a new issue arrived, the van stalls when I am applying no acceleration. I decided to google stuff and read that the throttle body could be dirty and exhaust shop mentioned that but it looks clean. I looked underneath and noticed the upstream o2 sensor (I think thats it) was unplugged, so I guess instead of welding in a new place to install the sensor they just didn't do anything with the straight pipe to install an o2. Would that cause the stalling or could it be something completely different? I wanna know before I try and give them crap.

I

Old 01-23-2024, 08:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

O2 sensor won't cause stalling if it isn't connected....

What you are concerned with on the throttle body is the IAC well, you can see it in the first pic, in the bottom, right corner. The little tab on the bracket for the air filter bolt points down into it. And it does look a little cruddy in there..... Disconnect the battery, take the throttle body OFF, remove the IAC, clean everything really well, put it back together, turn the ignition to On, (not start) count to ten, (don't touch ANYTHING) THEN start the engine. It should figger out idle pretty quick, assuming there aren't any other issues.

The exhaust shop should have weld-in bungs for O2 sensors. Why they didn't put one in is a mystery to me.... But, they deleted the cat... Which is patently illegal here in the US. 99.999999% of exhaust shops won't do that. Those that will, will want cash for the job, and no paperwork.

Old 01-23-2024, 08:31 PM
Zukatex

Originally Posted by HeyYou
O2 sensor won't cause stalling if it isn't connected....

What you are concerned with on the throttle body is the IAC well, you can see it in the first pic, in the bottom, right corner. The little tab on the bracket for the air filter bolt points down into it. And it does look a little cruddy in there..... Disconnect the battery, take the throttle body OFF, remove the IAC, clean everything really well, put it back together, turn the ignition to On, (not start) count to ten, (don't touch ANYTHING) THEN start the engine. It should figger out idle pretty quick, assuming there aren't any other issues.

The exhaust shop should have weld-in bungs for O2 sensors. Why they didn't put one in is a mystery to me.... But, they deleted the cat... Which is patently illegal here in the US. 99.999999% of exhaust shops won't do that. Those that will, will want cash for the job, and no paperwork.
Well they deleted it and gave me a receipt and I paid with a card. I'll try cleaning it. Thanks hopefully I can figure that out, I'm not a car person. If it doesn't fix it I'll have to take it to another shop, I've been chasing shops last 2 weeks.

Last edited by Zukatex; 01-23-2024 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zukatex
Well they deleted it and gave me a receipt and I paid with a card. I'll try cleaning it. Thanks hopefully I can figure that out, I'm not a car person. If it doesn't fix it I'll have to take it to another shop, I've been chasing shops last 2 weeks.
So far as I am concerned, I couldn't care less about the cat, but, you DO NEED that O2 sensor in there. Some other shop will likely wanna sell you a cat too......

Old 01-24-2024, 04:36 PM
Zukatex

So far as I am concerned, I couldn't care less about the cat, but, you DO NEED that O2 sensor in there. Some other shop will likely wanna sell you a cat too......
Alrighty, I dropped it off at another shop to get the stalling issue resolved then I'll take it back to the exhaust shop to get the bung welded and o2 sensor in. Cleaning the IAC did not resolve it.

Old 01-25-2024, 04:49 PM
Zukatex

IAC ended up being bad and was replaced, runs smoothly now. He removed the other o2 sensor said it's not good to have just 1 and being an 5.9L and 1999 it should run fine without the o2 sensors.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

IAC ended up being bad and was replaced, runs smoothly now. He removed the other o2 sensor said it's not good to have just 1 and being an 5.9L and 1999 it should run fine without the o2 sensors.
It will run according to tables programmed into the PCM, which were notoriously on the rich side. You gas mileage will suck even worse than normal, and your computer will constantly be whining about those sensors. If you can live with it like that, that completely up to you. But, it will never run as good as it should. Expect to go thru spark plugs about every 10 to 15 thousand miles.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:53 PM
Zukatex

It will run according to tables programmed into the PCM, which were notoriously on the rich side. You gas mileage will suck even worse than normal, and your computer will constantly be whining about those sensors. If you can live with it like that, that completely up to you. But, it will never run as good as it should. Expect to go thru spark plugs about every 10 to 15 thousand miles.
That's good to know thank you, I figured the mileage already sucked so can only be so much worse.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's good to know thank you, I figured the mileage already sucked so can only be so much worse.
Yeah, I outright REFUSE to call it 'fuel economy', as it is anything BUT economical.

Don't fee too bad though. In my truck, if I can even hit double digits, I feel I am doing good.

Old 01-25-2024, 08:03 PM
Zukatex

Yeah, I outright REFUSE to call it 'fuel economy', as it is anything BUT economical.

Don't fee too bad though. In my truck, if I can even hit double digits, I feel I am doing good.
I don't even know my mileage would keep it that way

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Ram Van 2500B 5.9L V8 Gas Stalls on Idle