Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Help with rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 12:00 PM
Markin
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with rear suspension

Hello all. I have what might seem like a odd request, but rather urgent. Could anyone with a 1994 van possibly take a photo of the rear suspension setup with the wheel off? I Will post again later to explain lol

Old 03-27-2024, 02:10 PM
Markin
Amateur

OK, I am home now so can write in more detail.

My 1994 Winnebago conversion van failed the annual vehicle inspection, amongst other things for rear suspension. What they said was that it looked like one of the "bump stops" was missing, but they also asked me if the van had air suspension. The "bump stop" that was still there apparently had a small pipe going into it, so if it was an air suspension kit, one side had fallen off at some point.

Anyway, I took the van to the mechanic as I have nowhere to work on it and the weather here is still a bit on the chilly side. He told me that it lookes as though air suspension had been fitted, but that he would make some "bump stops" to fit.

Well, he phoned me today to tell me the van was ready and had passed the inspection. I went, paid the rather huge bill (also full rear brakes and two front tyres), and at the first speed bump an awful noise from the rear suspension of basically metallic bangs. I instantly phoned him and returned the van straight back to the mechanic. I drove him around the block to hear it, and when we returned to the garage he said that technically we could the "bump stops" he fitted.

Herein my request for some photos with wheels off if possible. I want to see what the standard setup is supposed to be. I cannot find any diagrams of the rear suspension to know if what I am looking at is supposed to be there or not.

Any help would be much appreciated guys. The mechanic canīt take the van back until Tuesday as today here in Spain we start the Easter break until and including 01/04, and I would feel much better if I can take a look at the van beforehand so I know exactly what he needs to do.

CHEERS

Old 03-27-2024, 04:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Have a look here. The 'jounce bumper' is in the lower right section of the parts pic. Looks like it bolts to the frame, right above the axle.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:39 AM
Markin
Amateur

Thanks very much HeyYou. I am going to try and get undereneath the van today and take some photos. If I indeed need the parts 3496691, it looks like it will be a bit of a pain to find them. Found nothing on Rockauto, and on the link you sent me it states discontinued

Old 03-28-2024, 07:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

"Discontinued" in going to be the case for a LOT of parts for your van. You can try searching on the part number, and someone may still have some on the shelf. Or some aftermarket company may make 'em.

Old 03-30-2024, 06:07 AM
Markin
Amateur

Hi HeyYou and the rest of the group. I got some photos today of the "fix" my mechanic did, and I am imagining where you can see the orange bump stops is where the original jounce bumpers should be mounted, right? And am I also right in thinking that maybe the idea of the mechanic was OK, but basically he has put in bump stops that are too long? They shouldnīt be touching the leaf springs when it is simply parked, no?

Old 03-30-2024, 08:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

No, the spring should not be resting on the bump stop, unless the van is loaded. That will make for a rather uncomfortable ride.... Location I do believe is correct. They are just too long.

Quick Reply: Help with rear suspension