Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

AC headache

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:45 AM
Rkm2015
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
I'm not sure if this is true for all models, but for my 2000 for the first 3 indicators on the temperature ****, the coolant valve to the heater core is closed, after the first 3 it is open; regardless of the air flow selector switch position.
Interesting. Ill have to pay attention and see if mine does that. I do see the vacuum pull the valves on mine as soon as i turn the ac function on, whether max or normal ac or defrost

Old Today, 12:22 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I forgot to ask...when you charged the system, I'll assume you pulled a vacuum first for 10-30 minutes before charging. After charging and running the AC on MAX, what are the readings on the low and high pressure manifold gauges?

Old Today, 12:47 PM
Rkm2015

Originally Posted by alloro
I forgot to ask...when you charged the system, I'll assume you pulled a vacuum first for 10-30 minutes before charging. After charging and running the AC on MAX, what are the readings on the low and high pressure manifold gauges?
Yes I pulled a vacuum for 30 mins and held at least 28lbs of vacuum. Low side running max was around 40-45 and high right around 175psi

Old Today, 01:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,317 Likes on 3,062 Posts

High side pressure is too low. Did you replace the orifice tube when you had the system open? (IS it replaceable by itself??? Or do you need to replace the whole line that it is in????)

Old Today, 01:28 PM
Rkm2015

Originally Posted by HeyYou
High side pressure is too low. Did you replace the orifice tube when you had the system open? (IS it replaceable by itself??? Or do you need to replace the whole line that it is in????)
I replaced the expansion valve when I changed the compressor which is ironically attached at the evaporator. I even tried swapping back to the old one with same result

Old Today, 01:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,317 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkm2015
I replaced the expansion valve when I changed the compressor which is ironically attached at the evaporator. I even tried swapping back to the old one with same result
Somethin' ain't right there...... Do you have rear a/c as well? Where is the expansion valve for that??

Old Today, 05:32 PM
Rkm2015

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Somethin' ain't right there...... Do you have rear a/c as well? Where is the expansion valve for that??
Yeah tell me about it.. yes it also has the rear ac with its own expansion valve on it. The high/low lines tee off and go to the back of the van and hook up at the expansion valve of the back hvac unit. Vent temp there is always very close if not equal to the front unit

Quick Reply: AC headache