Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Engine Shut-Off at 55 mph Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:43 PM
afaull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Shut-Off at 55 mph Troubleshooting

Hey guys, first off this is my first post and do I need some help. I have a 1998.5 2500 Cummins with 140K. I was getting on the freeway and on the shift between 2nd and 3rd at about 50 mhp the engine shut off. I have power and the engine cranks just as it always had but no turning over. The first thing that came to mind was the fuel filter, then the notorious fuel lifter pump came to mind. Does any one have any thoughts or more questions so I can get the beast fired up again. Thanks Alan.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:58 PM
afaull
Default RE: Engine Shut-Off at 55 mph Troubleshooting

Update: Put in new filter and still no go. There is a 30 second buzzing sound that is coming from the compressor area (that blue canister)...any thoughts?

Old 06-02-2007, 09:37 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Start with the basics to see which direction to go, fire, fuel, air.
1. Se if you have a spark, your timming belt/chain mayhave sliped or broke.
2. Fuel-buy a cheap pressure guage ($15), it will help you determine if the fuel pump is out out. If the rail has pressure but after turning over you don't have any fuel smell out the tail pipe, it could be injector related.
3. Air is pretty much computer controlled (mixture) and usually isn't the culprit.

Do you have an engine light/code?

Old 06-03-2007, 02:43 PM
afaull

The line has pressure I think. When I prime the fuel lines (crank the engine for a second to get the pump to activate) and loosen the banjo bolt on the low pressure line I get plenty of diesel out of the line. But I just woke up so I'll check the other stuff. One of the other issues is that I may have sucked the life out of my batteries due to the excessive cranking...the meter in the cab sometimes gets to the 12 or 13 mark then drops...after the key in on crank for a second and my girlfriend's little Japanese car has no chance of helping. I think I need a charger or another Diesel to help out. Needless to say this has been a bit of a pain and I might need to fork over the $80 to have some jerk hook up a computer to the thing. Anyhow I'll check back after more fiddling. Thanks again.

Edit: There is a Check Engine Light...and the Check Gauges Light has been on for ever.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:55 PM
89Ramcharger

you might wanna have it scanned run some codes on it that will help you out

Old 06-04-2007, 07:10 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

You can buy your own OBD II scan tool for under $100, or most car part stores will scan it for free. The purchase route is more convenient though...especially when the truck isn’t moving under it’s own power.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:13 PM
TJDUDE

my old truck did this one time and it was the catalytic converter was plugged.?? mine was a gas engine tho.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:26 AM
afaull

Thanks for all of your help. Got the OBD II and found the great code of P1688..."Fuel Injector Pump Failure" woohoo! Looking at about 1,400 for the reconditioned pump and $300-$400 for the labour. If anyone has any thoughts, but I did my research and it all seams pretty sound considering my lack of tools. However...GAS in Bellingham, WA 3.49...DIESEL for the last two months (cash) 2.94. I know it cost to live in the northwest...
P.S. I would like to take this chance to thank BOSCH and CUMMINS for the skin pearicing power of the fuel injection system and the fact the low sulfur diesel DOES NOT LUBEICRATE the system properly But who cares...even new Dodge owners STILL turn their heads to hear the rattle of the 98.5 24v.

Quick Reply: Engine Shut-Off at 55 mph Troubleshooting