Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Hemi vs Cummins? Is it worth the $

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hemi vs Cummins? Is it worth the $

Thats also a crappy ford diesel though too. The Cummins motors hold their value much better. When I was shopping for truck a while back I noticed that even in used rigs the Diesel motor cost about another 5 thousand.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:33 PM
minex
Veteran

I didn't think 165,000 miles for a diesel was considered high miles. Aren't diesel's supposed to last a lot longer than that?

Old 11-03-2007, 05:32 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you know a engineering student?

All certified engineering schools now have to have an 'Engineering Economics' class for 3rd or 4th year students because the subject is on the "Engineer-In-Training" national test that has to be passed before you go on to do your 5 year appenticeship.

If you do know an engineering student ask them to compare the price of the Cummins Diesel Ram to whatever gasoline Ram you are also considering.

When interest rates, fuel prices and resale value are factored in
the Cummins usually comes out better.

If you factor in a 10-20% chance that you will be in an accident with your pickup, and that you might suffer less hospital and medical cost if you are in a heavier, stronger vehicle with diesel in the tank rather than gasoline,
then the comparison even more heavily favors the Cummins.

However, you might also want the student to factor in the chance,
perhaps 1 out of 100,
that breathing tiny diesel soot particles or the fumes of diesel
might make you sick in several different ways.

Locomotive workers on the railroad
and 18 wheel truck drivers
die at higher rates of certain diseases
than do other people.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:01 PM
agct01

ORIGINAL: Tommygunz

Thats also a crappy ford diesel though too. The Cummins motors hold their value much better. When I was shopping for truck a while back I noticed that even in used rigs the Diesel motor cost about another 5 thousand.
Crappy Ford Diesel? 165,000 of towing and a constant 2000-3500LB load of dry ice in the bed, I don't think so. This 6.0 runs excellent, looks excellentand drives like new. The 02 dodge that I had fell apart in every way but the engine. Four trips to the dealer in 55K milesand I lost 8K in equity. There may be a lot of bad 6.0 diesel's, but there is a reason that Ford sells more trucks (at a premium price)than Dodge or Chevy combined, a better overall package! And another reason that I didn't consider adodge truckon my last two truck purchases was because they can't see to figure out how to make a real crew cab. Its either too big or too small.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM
DodgeRamer03

As everyone has stated in there messages, its more in what you want!!! DIESEL or GAS. The hemi has more than enough power to do what you need it to do, if you only tow every so often, if your towing constantly, for more savor of the all mighty dollar, get the CTD....its will get its dollar back eventually.....but the Hemi, will also give you your dollar as well......so its more so in what you do, and what you want!!!!!

Quick Reply: Hemi vs Cummins? Is it worth the $