Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Hemi vs Cummins? Is it worth the $

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
agct01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi vs Cummins? Is it worth the $

I currently own a 2005 F350, 6.0, PSD, FX4 and am extremely happy with it. I have 165,000miles on it without a single engine or trans. problem. The only things that I have had replaced were the batteries, front right hub, and rear axel grease seal. I average about 14.5mpg including towing 8-10K utility trailer and city/highway driving. It still drives like new i'm just getting concearned with the high miles that something may break soon. I am considering a 2007-08 Ram but with the cost of diesel and the extra maint, and initial cost of msrp, is another diesel worth it. I am also considering the fact that the Hemi comes with the lifetime warranty. Does this include 3500 Rams with the Hemi. What do you guys think? I am not trying to start some Pis-ing contest between Diesel and Gas owners, I just want some educated responses from those who have owned both. I know the diesel has more power and better MPG but at $.40-.50 per gallon more does it make sense?

Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: Hemi vs Cummins? Is it worth the $

well this is a very common question... it seems as if you are lookin into buying brand new so yea... your gonna see about a 7 thousand dollar differnce between the two... yes you will have better gas mileage, more power, and more expensive gas.... the question is how often are you towing? if you are constantly towing that much weight and you use your truck to be worked hard and you drive a lot the diesel is your truck... if you are using your truck as more of a daily driver and a work truck on the side the hemi is plenty capable... my personal choice would be the ctd because of the huge amount of options in the aftermarket... they already have stuff brewin for the 6.7 and soon to be released..... but in the end it is ultimately your choice feel free to ask more questions!

Old 11-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the lifetime warranty does not extend to the 2/3500's, only the 1500's. and to think of it I dont think I have ever seen a hemi in a 3500. . .

Old 11-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

Well here is some math for you, at current fuel prices in my area gas is 2.98 for mid grade ( I never buy less than that, its not fair to your truck) and diesel is high right now at 3.39.

I pulled average mileage numbers off of the individual forums, the CTD side and the Gasser side.
Gassers are averaging about 14 MPG, some are getting more, most are getting less.

Diesels are averaging about 17 MPG, again some more some less.

with that in mind and if you take the cost of fuel per gallon divided by the amount of miles you can drive on that gallon you get the cost per mile.

Gas is roughly 21 cents and diesel is 19 cents per mile

Now you figure you tow the 8-10K trailer on occasion. The diesel will lose likely a mile or two per gallon at most with that much weight. The gas will likely drop much more than that. The disparity in cost per mile grows.

The diesel will last you much longer. There are guys on the forum with 400K+ on their CTD. I doubt you will see someone with that kind of miles on the Hemi. There is a liftime powertrain warranty on the gas and not on the diesel, there is a consideration there, but Cummins also give you a 100,000 mile warranty on that mill so...

There are alot of facts here and hopefully you can find what you need.

IMHO you will regret not getting the diesel.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:05 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Tommygunz

Well here is some math for you, at current fuel prices in my area gas is 2.98 for mid grade ( I never buy less than that, its not fair to your truck) and diesel is high right now at 3.39.

I pulled average mileage numbers off of the individual forums, the CTD side and the Gasser side.
Gassers are averaging about 14 MPG, some are getting more, most are getting less.

with that in mind and if you take the cost of fuel per gallon divided by the amount of miles you can drive on that gallon you get the cost per mile.

Now you figure you tow the 8-10K trailer on occasion. The diesel will lose likely a mile or two per gallon at most with that much weight. The gas will likely drop much more than that. The disparity in cost per mile grows.

The diesel will last you much longer. There are guys on the forum with 400K+ on their CTD. I doubt you will see someone with that kind of miles on the Hemi. There is a liftime powertrain warranty on the gas and not on the diesel, there is a consideration there, but Cummins also give you a 100,000 mile warranty on that mill so...

factor in the price of the truck....

Old 11-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

ORIGINAL: Tommygunz

factor in the price of the truck....

factor in the resale value if you ever decide to part with the thing. . .the diesel will keep its value.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:12 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

yea i know im just bustin your chops... i honestly do wish i had a diesel i just couldnt do it with the high initial cost........

Old 11-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Drew
Professional

I will agree, that was a hard chew on the initial cost, but in the long run this thing is bad

Old 11-01-2007, 05:49 PM
agct01

Thanks, I really appreciate your opinions. My first diesel was a 2002 Ram 2500, ext. cab, auto, 2wd and I was happy with it at first until I began having problems. The a/c broke 3 times in one year and the transmission went out at 45K. This was with very little towing, only twice, u-haul trailers weighing 4K. I traded it in on a 2003 Ford f250, 6.0, 2wd, cc, autoand it served me well. The mileage was between 15-18mpg and I didn't have a single issue with the truck for 96Kand I traded up to an F350 in 2005. The F350 has also been a great truck and hasn't given me any problems. I wanted to trade it in but the dealers don't want to touch a truck with high miles (165,000). I refuse to trade it in for $15,000. I will be happy to keep my current truck I just don't know how long it will continue to remain reliable before some major parts go out, turbo, trans, motor. Is it true that the lifetime warranty doesn't apply to 2500-3500's?

Old 11-01-2007, 06:10 PM
agct01

factor in the resale value if you ever decide to part with the thing. . .the diesel will keep its value.
[/quote]

I agree that diesels have a better resale but I don't think there is much difference when you factor in the extra $7K you spend up front. I traded in my 03 for $21500 and paid $34500 and I paid $40000 for my current F350 and the dealers want to give me around $15K.

Quick Reply: Hemi vs Cummins? Is it worth the $