Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Dodge Trucks Lest Set The Record Staight

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:07 PM
xcracer7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Trucks Lest Set The Record Staight

Well,

I get tired of people saying my ford is better, my chevy will last longer and what not, so i want to honestley hear it from you guys, do dodges last longer, and require less work than these other brands, and have more power and dependability and the best looking on the road compared to all these other truck, with there big boxy fron ends and over sized everything, when dodge has stayed true to design. Finaly this myth about there transmissions is there even a problem with them.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: Dodge Trucks Lest Set The Record Staight

get a cummins and be happy will ya!

Old 11-12-2007, 05:15 PM
xcracer7

yeah i know, cummings is a great diesel motor, its basicaly a little semi, lol abut what about the gas trucks?

Old 11-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

What model years and models are you wanting to know about? Because it does affect the type and number of problems.

Vehicles will typically start to exhibit their flaws after 4 or6 years, when they start appraoching 100K. Maintenance will greatly affect the longevity of the vehicle, but there are certain trends that seem to show up regardless. Certain things like:

Dodge can't seem to make a rack and pinion assembly for a truck. They either leak or the inner tie rods go. This happens at relatively low mileage. Oh, and if any Dodge engineers are listening, either make ball joints and bearingin the HD's that won't ever fail, or start putting some kind of rust inhibitor on the front hub assemblies before install. I'm in Colorado, where the humidity is next to none, and I've had to torch out way to many hub assemblies on these trucks. Do you know how long it takes to cut through that much steel without damaging the knuckle???

GM doesn't know how to build intake manifold gaskets and fuel pumps. If you own an S-10 Blazer or Pickup, or a truck with a Vortec 350, you will replace both at some point around 100K. That, or the intake will puke coolant into your motor and you are really screwed. GM has also never figured out how to make axle seals not leak.

Ford. Where do I start? Ball joints, axle seals, shock absorbers-all pretty much gauranteed to go before 100K. And I'd like to know who the genius designer was that decided the SOHC V-8's should only have 5 threads that actually grab the spark plug; It's not enough, as can be concluded when they blow out of the head and take a coil with them. And their idea to go all European with the discbrake systems and make the rotors nearly as soft as the pads, yeah........not so good.

As you can see, they all have issues. I've found mopars in general to have either fewer or less expensive repair needs than other makes. That includes imports. Theasian cars are usually pretty trouble free for the first100K, but around 1000K they have a big, expensive sheduled maintenance and the car startsgoingdown hill as themiles keep piling up. Trouble is, the same repair on aToyota will cost way more than adomestic. Take for example, a 2000 Dodge Ram and a 2000 Toyota Tundra. Either could experience starter failure in the 100-150K range. On the ram, you have a $300 Starter and a half hour of labor to install. On that Tundra, you get a $650 starter that calls for FOUR HOURS of R&R.Now you can see where the imports are not better.You could've put 2 starters in the Ram over it's life and still had lowerrepair cost, even if it had to be towed.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:04 PM
xcracer7

WoW, well thankx for your option, i value it very much, but i do understand where you are coing from, everything does have repairs, but it seams like dodge dosnt have to bog of ones.

And about my tranny question, im refuring to the gen 2 rams 1500 2500 from 95 to 2002, suppose to have tranny problems. idl if thats true or not?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:34 AM
DMSD

In the last month I've had to pull the heads off of two V8Ram 1500s. one was lacking compression and the valves were shot, the other had two cracked heads. And don't forget the evap. core in any Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep product. Did I mention EGR valves?What about fuel pumps, and track bars (panhard rod) and etc...etc...

As for the GMs, an intake at 100k is most likely the second one. Felpro make a metel and rubber gasket now thats a much better disign, I beleave it's the same part # with a T at the end, they make it for the 3.1/3.4 engines also. And how about ball joint before 50k, and add an idler & pitman arm.

When you work on all of them, you'll find out they're all s**t!!! Isn't any of them better than the other!

Bill

Old 11-15-2007, 09:50 PM
casper3380
Veteran

The number one factor, like said before, is maintenance and care. That aside, chevy has had as bad of luck as dodge and ford for that matter in the tranny department. As engines go, the HEMI is the best available in a pickup. Diesel, hands down, the Cummins. It is the only medium service diesel engine available, all others are light duty, and the duramax is junk. All brands have flaws. but Dodge is the best for work and play too, lol.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Cordoba man
Professional

I don't know about the 2nd gen tranny's, but I do know that the 727's were bulletproof.
As for brands... I had a caravan that everyone asked if I replaced the tranny yet.... well, I had to change the diff in it thanks to my lead foot.... so?
Then you used to see guys with an Aerostar or chev venture and they're on their 2nd or 3rd tranny and as many engines. Those are all minivans and are built to be disposable, but my tranny was my one and only 'big' item. I bought it at 5 years old and owned it 7 years and all I had to do was the drivers side wheel bearing twice, a starter muffler, CV shafts, brakes and ball joints. So I figured that for a 94 minivan, you couldn't get any better.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:28 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 318's and 360's are old reliable engines that can see 200k they just have the plenum go bad as far as im concernced dodge is a close second to jeep for me and jeep obviously doesn't make trucks so i would say go for it and get a dodge. it will have just as many or as little problems as any other brand.

Quick Reply: Dodge Trucks Lest Set The Record Staight