Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

question about 94-99 rams

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 07:20 PM
cycobmxbiker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about 94-99 rams

hey im new to this and im looking @ geting a ram as my first car. i found a ram2500 4X4 shortbed for $4000. its got some rust on the passenger side door, 104,000 miles, and an automatic trani. i just want to know if there are any major problems with this year ram that i should lookout for and if there are is there a better year to go with.

Old 05-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran
Default RE: question about 94-99 rams

what year is it? Also, higher milage rams have been noted for having "weaker" auto trannys. Rusty doors are common though, if its only surface rust you can save it, mine has holes underneath the doors, so that means new skins (they run about 400 a piece)

Let us know the specifics on this truck (I.E. what size engine, year, etc)

Could be a great buy!

Old 05-22-2005, 11:41 PM
cycobmxbiker

its a 1995 ram2500 5.9 leter V8
thats the vin # for it --> 1B7HF16Z6SS303577

Old 05-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Blown_Tranny

The major problem with the 94-01 dodges is that they have seriously WEAK tranny's. I have a freind who went through 3 transmissions with his 94 dodge ram 1500 5.9L, yes 3! Also I am not surprised that the truck is rusting out, Dodges are know for that to.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:31 AM
RcBandit28
Captain

Blown_Tranny:
Here we go again.....Troll at work, don't you have anything good to say about Dodge?

cycobmxbiker:
I think if you can pick up that truck for only $4K that's a pretty good price, especially since it's 4wd.

Old 05-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Blown_Tranny

I happen to like the old Dodge muscle cars, thats about the extent of me liking Dodge. I think their trucks are absolute junk.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do decide to buy the ram, the tranny can be made to last, if whoever owned it first, didn't hammer the thing. I drove a 93 dkota 5.2litre to 208,000 miles on the original engine AND tranny--yes its the automatic w/ overdrive. First drain all the fluid from the trans and replace the filter. The filters in these things plug real easy--they are doing a good job of filtering out the sludge and stuff. While you have the pan off, punch a hole in the bottom of it and braze in a 3/8 " pipe coupling that you've cut in half. make sure that you set the cut end of the coupling flush with the edge of the hole in the pan, so all the fluid drains out when you have to drain it--viola' no more messy fluid changes. While you are in there, adjust the bands--check the service manual for the torque specs to set them at. Now your all set, just change the fluid once a year, and the filter every other year.
Don't use cheap tranny fluid try B&M trickshift it ain't cheap but a tranny rebuild is a lot worse! And for you guys running the auto's in the newer trucks--the same applies to yours too! Just make sure that the fluid you're using is top quality--and make sure you keep the bands adjusted, when they start slipping, you won't know it, and thats when the burning and heavy sludge deposits start---guess what, too late open your wallet, blow out the moths, did down deep and shell out a grand or better!

Good Luck, buying a ram as a first vehicle is a great choice!!

Old 05-27-2005, 12:32 AM
Blown_Tranny

ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

If you do decide to buy the ram, the tranny can be made to last, if whoever owned it first, didn't hammer the thing. I drove a 93 dkota 5.2litre to 208,000 miles on the original engine AND tranny--yes its the automatic w/ overdrive. First drain all the fluid from the trans and replace the filter. The filters in these things plug real easy--they are doing a good job of filtering out the sludge and stuff. While you have the pan off, punch a hole in the bottom of it and braze in a 3/8 " pipe coupling that you've cut in half. make sure that you set the cut end of the coupling flush with the edge of the hole in the pan, so all the fluid drains out when you have to drain it--viola' no more messy fluid changes. While you are in there, adjust the bands--check the service manual for the torque specs to set them at. Now your all set, just change the fluid once a year, and the filter every other year.
Don't use cheap tranny fluid try B&M trickshift it ain't cheap but a tranny rebuild is a lot worse! And for you guys running the auto's in the newer trucks--the same applies to yours too! Just make sure that the fluid you're using is top quality--and make sure you keep the bands adjusted, when they start slipping, you won't know it, and thats when the burning and heavy sludge deposits start---guess what, too late open your wallet, blow out the moths, did down deep and shell out a grand or better!

Good Luck, buying a ram as a first vehicle is a great choice!!
Im not surprised the Ram tranny was the same as a Dakota tranny, thats what it was made for. Then they decided to throw a small V6 pickup tranny in to their full size truck line.

Old 05-27-2005, 02:52 PM
4DrMopar
Captain

You know, Blowtranny, or blowingtransexual,whatever it is.. if you dont like the trucks, WHY are you in this forum?? If you like muscle cars, GREAT, so do I , but I don't like Hondas, thats why I don't belong to a Honda forum.... if your just gonnna be negative, take your drama to a beaniebaby collector site or something.....

Old 05-27-2005, 03:01 PM
fackman

ORIGINAL: Blown_Tranny

I happen to like the old Dodge muscle cars, thats about the extent of me liking Dodge. I think their trucks are absolute junk.

Dodges Transmissions suck, Chevys pistons knock, and Fords blow up and fall apart. Blah, blah, blah.

The same old **** gets tossed around about why one brand's trucks are such crap, yet all 3 are still the 3 best selling vehicles in America.

If Dodges Trannies suck so bad then why do they sell so great and why do you see so many of them on the road??? Even the old ones???

Think of something actually useful to say, Blown_Tranny

Bottom line is that if you drive like you have some sense and know how to take care of your vehicle, it will give you years of good service.

Quick Reply: question about 94-99 rams