Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Aftrshck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Change

OH when I get it flipped over to syn...I will go to 5000 miles or so....might as well save myself SOME work and money...ahahah

Old 03-30-2004, 11:47 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

You shouldn't have any problems...if I could do the same, I would!!![sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 03-31-2004, 12:17 AM
CaliHemi

Lemme get this clear...If the idea of synthetics is to last twice as long as regular oil and in order to maintain your warranty you need to change your oil every 3,000 miles...what would be the benefit of using synthetic oil since you need to change the oil every 3,000 miles anyways. Wouldn't you be just throwing your money away?

Old 03-31-2004, 12:28 AM
Aftrshck
Veteran

couldnt tell ya about the warranty stuff.....but as for the lasting longer, I use it in my 4-wheeler and it has NEVER been a problem and seems to run cooler...so I guess each to their own.....

Old 03-31-2004, 12:49 AM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

If my car wasn't under warranty, I could and would extend the oil change periods. Since it IS under warranty and MaMa Mopar wants Mobil 1 (I'm switching to Amsoil) every 3000 miles, I gotta go along with the rules. My key concern isn't the mileage, Dodge says change the oil every 3 mo./3,000 miles WITH a synthetic motor oil...they recommend Mobil 1. I'm not going to skimp on a few $$ and run the risk of ruining my engine.
Some people use syns to stretch out the oil change times...I don't. I use syns because they are the best oils available for engines.....and I'll pay the extra bucks and beat a equal car running dino oil as well![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-31-2004, 03:20 AM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HemiBrian,

It's a common misconception that an engine will not break-in correctly if you run synthetics on an engine with less than 5000 miles. An engine will still break-in when running synthetic or petroleum oil. I will be happy to provide links to Used Oil Analysis results showing elevated wear metals even when synthetic oil is being used. The reason for the elevated metals is because of engine break-in. As the engine broke in, the wear metals were significantly reduced on further UOA test results.

You can safely switch to synthetic oil at 500 miles if you wanted to. The first 500 miles is best done with petroleum to accelerate engine break-in.
3000 miles is a safe bet to start running synthetic oil.

I use and endorse Amsoil synthetic oils. They were the original manufacturer of synthetic engine oil back iin 1972. Their main selling oil is their SAE series which they warranty for 1 year or 25,000 miles (whichever comes first). They require a filter change at 6 months or 12,500 miles (whichever comes first).

My 2000 Dakota has 11 months an 15,000 miles on it's oil.

Since your under warranty, another option is their Group 3 basestock, synthetic blend, the XL7500 series which is fully warrantied for 6 months or 7500 miles (no oil fillter change needed). The filter that I recommend for your Hemii is the Amsoil SDF-15 which is almost 1.5 iinches llonger than stock and is good for 6 months or 12,500 miles. At wholesale, they only cost me $8.00 each. I use this filter on my Ram and Dakota. They wont fit on 5.2/5.9 Dakotas and Durangos (too long).
Here is a comparison of Amsoil to the other big name brands: http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.html

In Dustyloin's case, he is under an extended warranty plan that specifically requires 3000 mile oil change iintervals. I have read plenty of oil analysis results (Most turbocharged WRXs, and Audis) that have safely ran their synthetic Amsoil oil for 6500 to 10,000 mile oill change intervals. Their proof that the oil was stilll good was from oil analysis testing to see how long the oil would safely protect their engine.

Quicksilver,

Synthetic oil is better able to withstand any combustion by-products than petroleum oil. I'll be happy to explain further if your interested. We can discuss oil color, oil contaminates, etc if you prefer. This may be of interest to you to illustrate the absurdity of 3000 mile oil change intervals:
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/lng_article/index.htm
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/lng_article/dec_03_mcfall.pdf
Here is a big rig that went 409,000 miles without an oil change using Amsoil synthetic diesel oil http://www.amsoil.com/testimonials/409000.htm

Bill,

Old 03-31-2004, 06:51 AM
Deviousin10tions
Professional

dustyloins, I have a car running "dino oil" that will take you up on that challenge.

Old 03-31-2004, 09:24 PM
HemiBrian

So it would be safe to run the AMSOIL Synthetic oil on my first oil change which will be at 3000 miles and the AMSOIL oil filter SDF-15 or a K&N oil Filter.

Old 03-31-2004, 10:59 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

What's your "equal car" that I wrote about...? I don't see an SRT-4 listed on your posting.[sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 03-31-2004, 11:01 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

...and you'll be enjoying your vehicle for years to come....[sm=smiley4.gif]

Quick Reply: Oil Change