Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:46 PM
HemiBrian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

I am coming up on my first 3000 miles on my new Hemi. What is the best of the best oil to run and oil filter to run. What is everybody liking. One thing I was never afraid to pay for is good oil. I know its to soon to go synthetic. SO what does everybody recommend?

I have used the K&N oil filter in my ford before and it seems nice.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:51 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Oil Change

Don't say it's too soon to go synthetic to Viper or SRT-4 owners, Mobil-1 is factory fill. If a syn wasn't a good break in oil, I kinda doubt DCX would recommend it and install it at the factory....IMHO...[sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 03-30-2004, 09:53 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

I agree with your choice of a K&N oil filter, they make an excellent line of filters...[sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 03-30-2004, 09:55 PM
HemiBrian

So should I start synthetic now???

Old 03-30-2004, 10:30 PM
Bucko
Rookie

i was recommended not to go synthetic so soon. my dad is a mechanic, but not a mopar mechanic so i don't know for sure. i've been using some castrol gtx with a fram filter. i went in between schedules about every 4500 miles, mostly Ca. freeway driving. buy in bulk if you can get a deal. i think my hemi holds 7 qts or around there.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:39 PM
excelent3

K & N is good, so is Napa Silver or Gold, both made by Wix... I would agree with your dad. I change my oil every 4K, as I do hwy miles... I also use Mobil One or Valvoline. Once you start using a good oil like Castrol, stay with it, as it has its own characteristics. I like to give my engines at least 20K to break in, before I go synthetic. Even a synthetic blend like Valvoline is a good way to go. There are cars that come right out of the factory with synthetics, BMW, Mercedes, etc....but they engines in those cars have different standards...You want to give all the parts in the engine that come in contact with the oil to "get married" first if you will, rings have to seat, etc. I think your dads advice is sound.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:50 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

What kind of "different standards" are you referring to? The fact that BMW, Mercedes, etc, have tougher standards than most American car makers? Or that the fact that the syn oils meet/exceed all standards, world wide? If I was looking at this data, (which is available on the internet) I'd be choosing 100% synthetic. It's a no-brainer. And, as DCX advises, there is no such thing as a break in oil....

Old 03-30-2004, 11:06 PM
Quicksilver

The oil ain't the problem, it's the contaminants. So change regular and your motor will be fine.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:06 PM
Aftrshck
Veteran

the only specifics I had heard was on a new motor wait 3600 miles before switching to synthetic.....i myself am starting to penny pinch to get my first round of synthetic for my two trucks...

Old 03-30-2004, 11:16 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

I agree, despite claims of longer oil changes, I will change my (syn) oil every 3 mo/3000 miles, just like the owners manual says.....(but it's nice knowing it COULD go farther)[sm=smiley36.gif]

Quick Reply: Oil Change